•Part 8•

November 4th 1963

Today was the day, the day of the Royal Variety Performance. Just two days before, Amelia had purchased her outfit which was heavily influenced by Rachel and Sheila's guidance. Rachel had been to many other fancy dinners in her life to know what she as dealing with, whereas Sheila knew how to grab peoples attention - with The Beatles as the focus of course - and then Amelia used her gate and personality to complete the rest of the look.

Without their combined efforts, the outfit wouldn't have look as breathtaking as it did.

She wore a royal purple dress - to fit with the royal theme - that finished juts above the knee, tasteful but not provocative. With three-quarter length black lace sleeves adding class and sophistication and finally black patent heels accompanied by a matching black clutch bag she already owned.

The whole piece looked incredible once it was completed with a low bun and a touch of powder. She was ready, physically but not mentally. She had never been to an event like this before, yes she had been to concerts but not as formal as this. The Royal Family were going to be there and she practiced her curtsies in front of her mirror incase she ever encountered them.

Finally, after practicing her handshakes on herself, she was prepared for the greatest night of her life. The London Post had payed for her car to pick her up and bring her home which she was most grateful for and arrived on time. She stepped out onto the street outside the theatre and took in the scene.

She snapped a shot of the outside of the theatre using the techniques and advice Will had given her on Saturday about how to take pictures at night or in low light settings. Amelia was given a badge to certify that she was there as a journalist and not a random audience member. As soon as she made her way to the concert hall, she was handed a glass of champagne to spark off the evening which she took kindly. She located her seat and checked her watch making sure she was ready in time for the performance. As other people filled in around her she read through the program of all the acts and speeches.

"Ladies and gentlemen settle down now as the show is about to begin" a large male voice instructed as the lights dimmed "Please welcome the The Queen Mother and Princess Margret" he said and the crowd rose to their feet as they applauded the focus of the evening.

There they were in flesh, the royal family. Amelia had to make sure that she didn't go off target and remembered to take in all the key factors of the performance.

The evening was wonderful, pact with impact and humour. But the main event of the night was about to take place. An intro played to one of The Beatles' songs and Amelia suddenly perked up at the sight of four slim handsome young men standing about 12 rows in front of her. They were there, the men Sheila had talked about, John, Paul, George and Ringo. Wearing their smart black suits with long white collars. She couldn't wait to tell tell Sheila how wonderful it felt to see them in real life and they hadn't even been on stage for a minute. It was truly music to her ears. Everything about their songs fitted perfectly together, the melody and their talent.

She clapped and smiled as they bowed after their first two songs which were wonderful and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. She guessed it helped that there wasn't any screaming girls like Shelia mentioned. As the crowd applauded, Amelia looked directly at Paul McCartney who was right in front of her. He grabbed her glistening eyes as they focused on his smooth face and he winked at her as she smiled back feeling a wave of nervousness rush over her. Keep it together she insisted but she couldn't help but feel like he was gazing at her.

"Focus on the article Amelia" she said to herself in her mind.

"the next song we'd like to sing now is one which is a bit slower. This is from the show 'the music man'" he said having to swallow to clear his throat "and its also been recorded by our favourite american group Sophie Tucker" Paul finished and the crowd laughed slightly at his humour as he looked over to Amelia at the end catching her eye once again. They locked for a split second until he had to start the next song.

"there were bells on a hill, but i never heard them ringing no i never heard them at all. Till there was you"

Amelia mouthed every word, she adored that song with all her heart and was one of her all time favourites. What made it even more special for her was the fact that Paul himself was singing it to her.

"then there was music and wonderful roses they'd tell me in sweet fragrant meadows of dawn and dew"

He began to smile, which was infectious to her, as they were singing to each other these words of love. Oh how had she gotten herself into this. The most beautiful man she had ever seen in the flesh was taking notice of her, little old Amelia. The journalist from London making cheeky remarks at a lad from Liverpool. Every now and then throughout the song he would look at her and grew his smile.

"till, there was youuuuu"

She clapped in awe of someone who she thought she wouldn't even take a second glance at this evening, but seeing the Beatles in real life changed everything. She knew how they moved, how they talked and their tone of voice. To finish their set they played another hit of theirs which was a lot more upbeat. John had said something funny which Amelia wasn't paying any attention too and neither was Paul as they had there own conversation through their facial expressions.  Maybe if Sheila and Rachel hadn't chosen her such an exceptional dress, Paul may not have taken any notice. But she was enjoying herself and didn't let her worries get in her way.

Before she knew it the whole performance had ended and she was almost the only one left in the theatre. Amelia stood up, brushed herself lightly, and followed the signs to the after party.

Possibly, just possibly, he might be there.