•Part 27•

August 7th 1965

It was quiet, too quiet. No one seemed to be in the house as she tried to creep carefully up the stairs.

"So. Did you have a good time?" She heard her mother sat in the living room.

"Of course! It was the most wonderful evening! He took me to the Ritz!" She said smiling.

Her mother looked surprised "Really?".

"Indeed. And I had the best time, now if you'll excuse me. I'm going to bed" she at the bottom of the stairs.

"Oh no you're not" she sternly said standing up "I don't like that boy" she said folding her arms.

"Sorry?" Amelia replied shocked.

"He's rude and a... a... a liberal!" She said searching for the right words to describe him.

"I beg your pardon! Paul is the least rude person I've ever met!! He respects me and encourages me in everything I do, practically the opposite to you" she said raising her voice "think about all I've done for you! I have a job which you didn't have anything to do with, it was Father in fact. Paul has a living! He followed his dreams and... he's extremely talented!!" She shouted now disturbing her siblings.

"Amelia Jordan! How dare you speak to your mother like that! I am appalled!" She said in disbelief.

"No! I am appalled!! Paul had to give it to you straight because I was too afraid!" She yelled and her mothers eyebrows dropped "that's right, I was so worried about disappointing you and making you feel ashamed that I couldn't even  be real with you! Well guess what, And on Saturday I was surrounded by cigarettes and alcohol. Also, I met Paul over three years ago! And now we are together so you're just going to have to put up with it!" she finished realising that she was now balling her eyes out.

Her mother looked blank, pale even. She was frozen and couldn't find the words in her vocabulary to say. Amelia didn't feel guilty at all and started walking up the stairs.

"And by the way, just think about who it was who made your Mother remember you again" she almost whispered and continued up to her room.

She sniffed and slumped onto her bed exhausted. There was a gentle knock at her door. It could only be one person.

"Can I come in?" He spoke carefully and she nodded even though he was behind the door.

He sat slowly next to her and wrapped his large arms around her.

"How did it feel?" He said.

She was perplexed "what?".

"How did it feel to yell at her" he said making her laugh "I'd never have the courage to do that!"

She laughed again cheering her up already "I didn't think I did!" She sighed "tonight was so wonderful and now she's ruined it as per usual".

"No she hasn't. She's ruined your early morning but not your evening. It's nearly two in the morning" he said making her giggle.

"What do think of him?" She asked.

"Paul? Well he's definitely better than William. Paul's more fun and confident but not arrogant like he was. He's very talented too" he said nudging her.

"You listen to his music!?" She said shocked that he got away with it.

"Shhh! And yes I do! Don't tell your mother" he said and she laughed again.

"The thing is, I still love her" she said.

"Yes well I do too, she is related to you weather you like it or not! Hopefully what both of you said has made her realise something tonight" he said and Amelia looked at him as he smiled to her.

"Thank you Dad" she said and gave him a final hug.

"Don't mention it, I'll see you tomorrow" he said kissing her forehead.

He left her room and she got undressed ready for bed. She tucked herself in under her warm duvet looking up at her ceiling. Her eyes closed gradually replaying her magical evening with her lover and realising how much she loved him. She was glad she had made to correct choice.