•Part 38•

August 12 1966

The Beatles had landed in America once again along with Amelia, Pattie and Cynthia who had all become great friends over the months. The album was a success, as usual, even though critics were sceptical about the various styles and genres throughout the album. Amelia of course had to write her own review, obviously not being biased, and gave her honest opinion which was fairly positive considering she had influenced many of the tracks.

It was now time of course for the Beatles' American tour for Revolver. Amelia was overflowing with excitement and couldn't wait to see them play in such a large venue. The first show of many was in Chicago at the International Amphitheater where they would play twice. The first concert was always the most exhilarating for her and the boys. Paul had invited her to come on the American tour as she'd never been before and couldn't make it to the other shows back in Europe due to her demanding job. She only just made it out of her office because he begged her to come, besides she did miss him terribly when he was away in far away places.

"You'll do great!" she said shouting over the noise from the arena holding his forearms.

"Thank you Lia," he yelled back and kissed her on the cheek "I hope you enjoy the set".

"Of course I will!" She leaned round to get a glimpse of the crowd "we produced half of these songs together and I still can't believe people liked them after what I did to them!" Amelia shouted again.

"I can" he said winking at her making her smile.

"Ok boys, we're ready!" One of the backstage crew informed them.

Paul looked back to Lia and gave her a quick kiss "I love you! Now stay safe" and ran with the rest of the band onto the stage.

The words "Stay Safe" rung in her head. Why did they stick out to her? Was something bad going to happen?

All of a sudden, the crowds roar escalated to a howl. Her ears made that crackling sound when the volume level was too high making her want to cover them. She was so terrified that the scaffolding would collapse from the racket. She'd never seen anything like it, the girls were practically launching themselves at them even in the back row. She was astonished, and not in a good way. Amelia tried to concentrate on the music but could barely here the thudding of the kick drum over the loudness of the girls. She looked at Paul and John who gave each other odd looks from time to time and shaking there heads. She couldn't help but feel sorry for them as the show would've been incredible if everyone had just listened.

Eventually the set finished and the boys ran off the stage to take refuge in the dressing room where Amelia had retired to.

"That was mental" George said leaning against the wall and throwing his head back.

"That was just crazy I couldn't hear a bloody thing" Ringo pointed out taking a cigarette and lighting it, the boys hummed in agreement.

"How did it sound from your end?" John said looking over at Amelia.

She swallowed not wanting to be harsh but also not wanting to lie "it was incredibly difficult to hear but I'm sure the crowd will calm down on the other gigs".

Paul slouched onto the sofa next her and rubbed his face from exhaustion.

"Don't worry, I think they're just a bit excited because you're back in America" she said trying to make the situation more positive.

"I guess it's just what the crowds are like now, we've just got to get used to it" Paul sighed. He leaned his head on her shoulder and turned so his lips were close to her neck "I want to go to sleep Lia".

She could've wept there and then, Paul never seemed this down after a show before and stroked his hair to comfort him. He closed his eyes relaxing onto her. Breaking the silence, Brian Epstein burst into the dressing room causing Paul and everyone else to sit up.

"Well done lads, you've done it again" he said clapping proudly, everyone pulled a confused face.

"Brian, how can you even tell whether the performance was good or not if we couldn't even hear it?" John said standing up becoming agitated.

"John sit down" Cynthia said quietly trying not to cause a fuss and so he did.

"That's very true" George Martin said following in behind him, he was now part of the sound crew for this part of the tour.

"I'm sorry John but you're going to have to cope with it. The whole tour is sold out and we can't let the fans down" he said folding his arms and taking back the authority as their manager.

Paul leaned his head back against the sofa clearly frustrated with the situation but tried his best to hide it. Amelia felt sympathy for him and the rest of the boys knowing that they were looking forward to this tour greatly. She took his soft hand in hers, gently to calm him down. He squeezed it thanking Amelia for her comforting gesture and reassuring her he was ok. Pattie, Cynthia and Amelia smiled at each other knowing that they felt just as awkward in this situation. Even though they were just  seen by the public as "the girlfriends", they did a lot for the bands wellbeing. Amelia particularly had a role to play now that George Martin had included her more in the music side of things.

George and Brian eventually left leaving the boys and girls in the large room. Amelia got up from her seat and walked over to the cooler to have a drink, she felt Pattie following behind her.

"Is there anything we should do?" She asked knowing that Amelia was the wise one out of the three.

"Is there anyway we can do?" She replied in return and Pattie nodded in agreement.

"I think they just need some rest" Cynthia popped up out of nowhere also having a drink.

"Is it always like this?" Amelia asked the girls now whispering.

They nodded "Yes, I mean it's always hectic in America but the rest of the tours are slightly calmer".

"That said, there was an incident in Moscow where an empty beer bottle was thrown at John whilst on stage" Cynthia said and Amelia tried her hardest not to gasp.

"Seriously?" She was shocked but the girls nodded, now she knew what Paul was saying to her about staying safe.

"Anyway, they seem to be back to their usual selves now" Pattie said as they turned around.

George had his acoustic guitar whilst the boys sang "Help" in a very odd yet amusing accent that nobody could ever identify. They laughed and smiled which was quite the opposite of what was happening just a few moments ago.