Dress Shopping

"Did we really have to do this?" Hayoung asked as she watched Karma go through a rack of dresses. It was a typical Sunday, except they were going dress shopping. Hayoung and Karma weren't looking for a wedding dress. They were still a long way from that stage, with only half a month of dating. Karma's boss was hosting a party during the following week, and despite Hayoung's protests that she could easily find something to wear for it, he insisted on getting her a dress.

"Of course! You're gonna have to look your best!"

"You mean you just wanted to see me in a dress."

Karma shrugged. "Can't blame a guy for trying."

"What else are you gonna get after the dress, makeup? You know I don't wear that stuff."

"No, not makeup. You look fine without it. It's just the dress, then we'll go grab lunch and go home."

"Alright."

And with that, he went back to his hunt for the perfect dress. Hayoung stood by a nearby wall, wearily observing him. Maybe she shouldn't have let him see the photo of her in a dress. Hayoung's opinion of dresses wasn't of the most flattering. She thought they were very restrictive, and often caused more trouble than they were worth. And Lord forbid you wore anything other than shorts underneath, for some creep would come around attempting to sneak a peak. They were pretty, yes, but you also had to watch yourself with them.

Karma continued down the racks, running through every dress with a fine tooth-comb. Hayoung wondered why he didn't just snatch one up and head for the cashier already. There wasn't such a big difference as to whether she wore a blue dress or a red one to the party. And Karma should be happy enough to see her in any dress in the first place. Or they could just spare the shopping and she could fall back on her one of her trusty, well tailored suits. If Karma was looking for femininity, then Hayoung had that covered. In her opinion, her wardrobe was quite feminine. However, Karma was very insistent on getting a dress, and by insistent, she meant annoying. As much as she hated to admit it, he knew just how to push her buttons just as well, if not better, than she knew how to push his. Maybe it was payback for all the times he was denied a kiss.

"Hayoung!" Karma had returned with a few dresses and thrust them into her arms. "Go try these in the fitting room and see how you feel about them. I'll wait for you outside."

Reluctantly, Hayoung stepped into the fitting room and hung the dresses neatly on a nearby coatrack. She had stripped down to her underwear, only to realise that all the dresses had zippers at the back, probably serving as an excuse for Karma to get closer to zip up her dress. Hayoung was convinced now that Karma was doing this as payback for all the kisses he was denied, and it seriously got on her nerves. Undoing the zipper just so she could fit her head into the dress, she pulled it over her head and smoothed it out as it fell almost to her knees. Staring her slightly disheveled reflection in the mirror, she felt relieved that Karma hadn't picked anything obscene. The butter-yellow dress had an A-line skirt and a sweet, simple design. It wasn't a terrible dress, but Hayoung couldn't really see how it fitted into a party of the likes Karma described. Lifting away her hair so she could access the zipper, she zipped it up and opened the fitting room door to show Karma.

"Hang on, how did you manage to zip up the dress without my help?"

Hayoung smiled mysteriously. "I have my ways."

She could just imagine the cogs turning in his head, frustrated at how she managed to outwit him time and again, despite each attempt to tease her. She looked at him.