Double Date

"Holy crap! That's one fancy hotel!" Kayano gushed at the sight of the tall, cream-coloured building surrounded by artfully trimmed hedges and smooth, manicured lawns.

"Karma, are you sure about this? Any old restaurant would've done..." Nagisa stammered as Karma's car pulled into the parking lot of the Narukana Hotel.

Karma smiled reassuringly from the driver's seat at Nagisa. "That's the thing. Any old restaurant wouldn't do. We haven't seen you for years, so why not celebrate our little reunion/double date right in the fanciest hotel in Tokyo?"

"But the bill..."

Hayoung spoke up. "You can lie your worries to rest. We'll handle what needs to be handled."

"I guess that makes me feel just the slightest bit better."

Karma parked the car and was the first to get out. Hayoung was just about to open the door when he opened it for her. He held the car door open with one hand, while the other was extended to her.

"After you, milady."

Hayoung took his hand and got out of the car, taking care not to accidentally step on her gown. Nagisa and Kayano got out of the car the normal way, and the foursome made their way towards the building. A gasp of amazement left Kayano's lips at the sight of the extravagant dining hall. Sheets of crystals hung from the chandeliers above, which were emitting a blinding light. The tables were covered with cream tablecloths, laden with fine china and silverware polished to a sparkle. Their shoes clicked attractively against the marble floor.  As the approached, a prim hostess in an expensive looking dress and high heels smiled at them.

"Good evening, sirs and misses. Do you have a reservation?"

Karma stepped forward. "Yes. Reservations for four under Akabane?"

The hostess checked through the list of reservations on her computer and smiled graciously at them. "Table number four, and have a great evening!"

Kayano was still in awe. "Oh wow. Maybe coming here wasn't so bad after all."

Nagisa glared at Kayano. "You'd better not ask me to take you to fancy restaurants like this!"

"Come on, do you think I'm really that heartless? Besides, have you forgotten what I do for a living?"

"I know. You get one heck of a paycheck for your movies, but still..."

"Alright, once you're done arguing like some old married couple, can we order?" Karma called.

A waiter was already at their table. Nagisa and Kayano reddened, and ceased their bickering. Karma leafed through his menu, his eyes running down the items. A lobster dish caught his eye, and he placed his order. Hayoung ordered a steak. Nagisa and Kayano, however, were still deciding on what to order.

"Hey, uh... Karma? We're not exactly the best when it comes to fancy food, so what do you recommend?"

The waiter spoke before Karma could open his mouth. "Personally, I would recommend the foie gras, the texture is smooth as milk and you'll surely enjoy it."

Karma snorted. "Hell no. You're better off going with lobster or steak. The classics are the way to go."

Deciding to heed Karma's advice, Nagisa picked a lobster dish for himself and Kayano and handed the menus back to the waiter. As the waiter left the table with the menus, Nagisa and Kayano sat facing Karma and Hayoung.