Moving In

The house was spacious and ultramodern, just as Karma had imagined it would be. The large empty room they stepped into seemed to be begging to be filled up with their furniture. Both Karma and Hayoung had an eye for sleek, minimalistic furnishings and details, and their furniture would surely fit right in. A long wooden staircase with glass panels below its railings led upstairs. It was a tough decision as to which items to leave in their old apartment, but they finally decided on splitting all of their items in half, from cooking utensils to furniture. Only their clothes and other personal belongings were exempt from this.

The moving truck hadn't arrived. Neither had Hayoung. Karma had come early to do a little inspection of the house. He'd called Hayoung a few minutes ago, and found out that she had a headache she needed to sleep off. He decided to go exploring before his girlfriend arrived, perhaps with the moving truck. Due to them owning one car each, they had to arrive at the house separately. The moving truck would surely be following Hayoung. The house itself seemed to be in perfectly good condition, albeit quite dusty. A little cleaning would soon solve the problem, however. Karma moved through the house, gazing at the spaces that were meant to be the kitchen and dining room. Not bad, not bad.

His phone buzzed in the pocket of his trousers. Swiftly, he hit the 'answer' button. It was Hayoung.

"Hayoung. How are feeling? Is the headache letting up?"

"I'll be fine. You're at the house, right?"

"Yep. You're coming with the moving truck?"

"Yes."

She hung up, probably to avoid hearing whatever cheesy nickname or phrase he was about to use on her. Chuckling to himself, he placed his phone back in his pocket. Still the same cool, reserved Hayoung he knew and loved. However, he couldn't help but feel a slight wrench in his heart when she hung up on him just like that. He knew Hayoung wasn't one to really shower people with affection, but the least she could've done was tolerate it. Besides, he thought it was really adorable. Having done exploring the downstairs rooms, he headed back to the living room and went up the staircase. There wasn't much to look at upstairs, either. It was all just empty space, empty rooms. And more dust. Considering the size of the house, it was going to take forever to clean up.

The purr of a car's engine bought his attention downstairs. Hayoung and the moving truck were here. Karma hurried down the stairs to greet her. Going outside, he saw Hayoung delegating instructions to the movers, who were moving a section of her slate-grey L-shaped sofa out of the truck, bit by bit. They'd decided to keep her sofa, as Karma felt his burgundy couch didn't really fit in with the decor.

"Hey."

Hayoung looked over at him. "Hello. Have you been waiting long?"

"Naw. I was just in the middle of exploring the place when you came."

"You find anything interesting?"

"Not really. Just a whole load of dust. Good thing we brought cleaning supplies."

Hayoung simply nodded and went back to the movers, who were doing a pretty good job of carrying Hayoung's sofa without much need for help or instructions. Karma put an arm around her shoulders and held her closely.

"Well, we're gonna be staying together."

"That's obvious."

Karma felt a wave of embarrassment wash over him. "Uh... Yeah. It's just that I..."

"I know you're excited. After all, kissing me before leaving for work is one of those major perks."

Karma was on the verge of blushing at these words. The calm, almost playful tone Hayoung was saying those words in wasn't helping either. Oh, you wanna tease me, Hayoung? Well, two can play that game.

"Hmm... I think you missed out on sleeping together every night, enclosed in my warm embrace, or perhaps cuddling, also enclosed in that same warm embrace?" He purred into her ear.

Hayoung didn't show much of a reaction outwardly, but he saw the tiniest pink tinge on her cheeks. Her voice had gotten softer too. "Yeah."

Oh, the effect he had on her. This was payback for not letting him call her cute pet names, after all. As they went towards the house, they saw that the movers had gotten most of their furniture out of the truck and into the house without much issue. Even their cleaning supplies had been moved out and were sitting at the door. Hayoung and Karma thanked the movers for their service, and sent them along their way. Now for the cleaning.
****************************************************************************************************************
It had taken them nearly two hours to clear the place of dust. And that wasn't counting the upstairs rooms, either. Karma was completely tuckered out, sprawled on Hayoung's sofa. Hayoung was on the sofa as well, with a sheen of sweat across her forehead.

"Do you think we should clean upstairs tomorrow?" Karma wheezed, using his shirt to fan himself. Maybe he shouldn't worn a dress shirt.

Hayoung looked at him wearily. "Sure. Why not? We'll stay at my place. I need to pack up a few things, and most of my cooking stuff is still there."

Karma nodded. He'd packed up ahead of time and split his cooking utensils, other fragile items and clothing  and packed half of each into the boxes that were now placed by the sliding glass door that led outside to the front yard. They were also moving in the dining table, shelves and lights tomorrow. The things for the kitchen would come the day after. Then the bed and his furniture for the upstairs bedroom and space. The living room was close to done, with Hayoung's sofa, glass coffee table, lamps and other decor from her apartment. It was looking pretty ultramodern as of right now.

Karma sat up and checked the time on his phone. "Alright. What say you we go and have lunch once I change out of this shirt?"

Hayoung nodded. "Sure."

Good on Hayoung for not sweating as much as I do. If she needed to change, it'd be kinda awkward. Grabbing a shirt from his clothing box, he went to the bathroom to change into it. Hayoung had fully gathered her things when he came out of the bathroom.

"So? My car or yours?" She asked.

"Hmm... Maybe yours. I'm feeling a bit lazy today."

Hayoung reached for her car keys, and Karma followed after. His stomach growled at the thought of lunch. All the cleaning he'd done for the past two hours must've really worked up quite the appetite.