Old Business

The peak of the night's black shroud begins to fade as early dawn sets over the colonial capital's air field.

A number of large interplanetary craft lay idle across the tarmac, while countless colonial law enforcement and military dressed personnel scramble about.

Inside the nearby terminal, agents Ryan and Dominic sit at a foldable table, keenly observing the screens of their laptops.

Pulling up a roster spreadsheet, Ryan breaks his attention from the screen, attaching his tablet phone to the side port of his mobile computer.

Uploading a file onto the sheet, he allows the software to autofill the data.

To his left, Dominic retrieves his phone from his pocket.

Sifting through a messaging thread he shares aloud his findings.

"It looks like the shuttles will be grounded indefinitely."

Turning slightly to catch him in his peripheral vision, Ryan inquires, "What's the problem now?"

"System wide surveillance picked up an unidentified fleet, outside our orbit. The craft appear to be heading in the colony's direction," Dominic explains.

"And how's that a problem?" Ryan questions.

Dominic explains, "Imagery isn't clear enough to decypher decals or other faction brandishings. So we can't tell if friend or foe. Also doesn't help that they're not responding to our communications."

"That sucks," his partner remarks.

Pulling out his handheld communications device, Ryan reassures his co-worker, "I'm going to try to get clearance from the director to relocate the hierarchy to an underground bunker."

The agent stands from his seat as he begins to consulting his device.

After a couple moments of conversing with his superior, Ryan returns to the table.

"I've got good news, and better news.", he shares aloud with his partner.

Curious, Dominic challenges, "Oh, really?"

Placing his communications device back into his pocket, he elaborates, "Good news, Colonial Reserves are going to take care of the hierarchy for us, and better yet I believe I've found an opportunity to finish some old business."

"What business?", his partner questions.

"Our witness issue.", Ryan answers.

"For real?", Dominic challenges, before inquiring, "Isn't the colony still on lockdown over the infection crisis?"

"Lockdown yes, but since last night's crackdown the infection readings have fallen within acceptable parameters.", Ryan explains.

He gestures his partner to join him as he leaves the tented structure.

As the two make their way down the tarmac, Ryan retrieves a tablet from his jacket pocket.

Pulling up a multi screen interface, he begins to detail their coming opportunity.

"Just recently, domestic security has picked up an active shooter inside one of our police stations."

Handing the device to his partner he continues, "Hierarchy insists that we maintain control over all communication centers. Doing so will allow responders to handle our infection predicament as soon and effective as possible."

Viewing footage of an owl hybrid mowing down a number of military and civilian dressed personnel in the station's second floor recreational room, Dominic contributes, "And this shooter just happens to be our loose end..."

"Indeed. We lucked out."

Amidst their conversation a group of eight armored trucks roll aside them.

The two vehicles in the front and back of their column formation bear manned machine gunner on their roof, whereas the four in the middle are unarmed.

Seeing the vehicles come to a halt nearby, Ryan peers over noticing a specific decal on the side of one of these armored automobiles.

The bronze shield encompassing a silver quarter moon, strikes the agent at the most recognized icons for the Colonial Counter Terrorism Unit.

The rear most unarmed truck releases two consecutive honks, signaling the two agents to board.

Leading his partner to the rear of the automobile Ryan comments to his partner, "Looks like the Director gave us the hook up."

Entering inside, through the thick steel hatch they are casually greeted by a half dozen tactically geared infantrymen, residing on the rear benches.

Taking their seats on aside these armed men, a hearty, coarse voice calls from the front of the vehicle, beckoning a response from the agents.

"I hear you have information on this active shooter."

Taking initiative, Dominic answers, "Limited, but yes."

"Good, you can fill us in on the way.", the man returns as he revs the engine, sending the vehicle speeding towards the exit of the airfield.