four: Shade

What the hell was that? It came from the main building but I'm not sure what to make out of it.

A cold chill went down my spine all of the sudden.

The telecom to the whole campus went online with static at first, but this time it wasn't the usual annoying Present Mic announcements.

"Reaper!" A man growled. "I know you're out there! Show yourself now, or I'll take out this whole school along with all the students to hell with me!"

I dropped my duffle bag and bolted towards the main building.

The phone Aizawa gave me vibrated in my pocket.

I took it up and answered. "I know, I'm on my way."

"Even if you are, the building's on total lockdown thanks to the intruder. He has Ochako with a gun to her head and a bomb strong enough to take down the entire school. Our hands are tied at this point."

"Listen to me, Eraser. I need you to take everyone else in a saferoom."

"You have a plan?"

"No, but I'll make things up as I go."

Aizawa sighed on the other line. "The hostage taker's on the 7th floor. There is no other way in but the sealed entrance."

"Then I'll make one." I hung up and made my way in front of the building, which was sealed shut by a blast shield, just like the ones at the asylum. I stepped back before kicking it down using my Quirk along with brute force.

I'm gonna feel this in the morning.

I didn't waste time and bolted for the stairs. By the time I reached the seventh floor, I realized that I forgot how fucking huge this place is and got lost in a few corridors. I leaned against the nearest wall and nearly screamed when a random hand pulled me into another corridor.

"Shut up, its me!" Bakugou whisper-shouted. Actually, emphasis on the shouted part.

I pried his hand off my mouth. "What the fuck are you still doing he- holy shit! What happened to you?"

"Tch."

"Don't just 'tch' me, you son of a bitch. I asked you a question!"

He covered up his bleeding shoulder when we noticed me staring. "What the fuck does it look like, you dumbass?"

I shrugged my blazer off and wrapped it around his shoulder, tying it tightly to make a makeshift cast. "You won't die from blood loss, but its better to keep it covered. So what type of idiocy did you do this time?"

"I pushed a retarded kid outta the way and took the goddamn bullet." He growled.

I dug my nails into my palm and grit my teeth. "Stay here." Then conjured out my scythe. "I'll make this quick."

But Bakugou stopped me before I could even move by grabbing my wrist. "You can't go alone-"

"Well no shit! About time you said something." I huffed. "He's got everyone's hands tied, both pros and police. And right now, I'm the only one standing between the death of hundreds and Ochako's safety."

He narrowed his eyes at me for a few seconds, probably murdering me for the tenth time in that head of his.

"I've got nothing up my sleeve at the moment. Got anything in mind?"

"Its risky, one of us might die."

"So are you gonna tell me or not?" I smirked.

~

Once I found the bastard and the girl I recognized as the one who dropped the boulder on me, I was catching my breath as if I've ran a goddamn marathon.

And surprise, surprise! There was an elevator right beside him.

"Fuck this place! Fuck this shit! And fuck you, especially." I pointed at the hostage taker.

Ochako's eyes widened at the sight of me, and by the looks of it even if she tries to make the man float she won't have enough time to dodge a bullet.

"He's a dead-on gunman, he can shoot from a sick range and still hit a target. That's how dangerous the bastard is."

I recalled Bakugou's words from before.

The hostage taker grinned at me. "Its been a while, devil."

"Let's just get this over with. What do you want?"

He chuckled at my reply. "Impatient as always. You know what I want. I want him; your protector."

My what?

I furrowed my brows at him in confusion. "You must've mistaken me for someone else. I don't have a protector."

"Liar." He pressed the gun to Ochako's head for emphasis, making her yelp.

"Stop! I don't know if you're on crack or something but I'm willing to trade anything for Ochako."

"I want your protector!"

At the corner of my eye, the elevator's numbers were going up. From the first floor to the seventh.

"Fine. You want my protector so bad, you can have him."

Then the elevator dinged, opening the doors.

"Shade!" The hostage taker growled a name, and that took me aback. "Come out!" He wants Shade.

The very thought of it made my blood boil.

Screw the plan, I'm doing this alone.

"Shade." I called him under my breath. "You know what to do."

As planned, Bakugou created an explosion where the hostage taker stood, covering everything with smoke.

Before the man could go trigger-happy again, I snatched the bomb detonator and swung my leg across his jaw hard enough to send him into the elevator.

I tossed the detonator over to Bakugou before jumping inside the same elevator and shut the doors, only to hear him shout something in the line of 'Fucking hell!' and 'This ain't part of the plan, you bitch!'

That guy seriously needs to attend an anger management class.

I laid a hand on the buttons and watched it sizzle and spark, then stepped on the man's chest before he could even move. "This elevator won't be going anywhere, so you might as well spill your shit now. How do you know Shade?"

The man chuckled out blood before pointing his gun to my head. "I'll tell you in hell." He pulled the trigger.

I looked down to see blood dripping down from a hole in my stomach. "You missed."

His eyes widened as he tried to crawl away while pulling the trigger a few more times, only to hit my stomach again and again.

Blood ran down my mouth, but I couldn't care less.

"W-What the hell?! Your head should've exploded by now!"

As if on cue, my shadow rose from the ground with crimson eyes.

"There's a lot of things you don't know about whom you call a 'protector'. He's not a guardian, if anything he's the real devil around here, other than you and me." I grinned, baring my teeth. "I'll leave him to you, Shade."

Shade hovered above him and leered, staring him in the eye.

There's an old saying that goes, 'Don't stare too long in the dark or the devil might stare back'. And in this case, its kinda ironic.

The man let out a blood curdling scream behind me as Shade did his part.

"Don't kill him, I need him alive."

Just as I turned to leave, I dropped to my knees and ended up coughing out more blood.

Ah shit. I might've overdone it a little.

"Agatha! Agatha! Open the fucking door!" Bakugou banged his fist on the metal door.

I tried to reach for the it but before I could, everything went.. blank.