seventeen: the failure

~ Shouto's Point of View ~

"Ack!" I ended up hitting my back against a tree from the impact, knocking the air out of my lungs in the process.

When I opened my eyes, Dabi was already standing in front of me with his hand raised to my face.

"Your fire and ice are both half-baked." He snickered. "Too bad."

I barely managed to dodge his attack this time when he swung his fist at me.

"You can't win against me."

"I can try." I laid a hand on the ground and sent an ice blast in his direction, but he was quick to counter with his blackening fire.

If he keeps this up, he'll end up setting the whole place ablaze. And I don't know what's worse- Agatha missing or Dabi having the upper hand against me.

Either way, these siblings are crazy powerful.

"Is that all you got, masterpiece?"

The nickname stung like hell, and he knew that well.

I tried getting back up on my feet until he rammed his boot to my side, making me spit out blood.

The bastard grabbed a fistful of my hair and forced me to face him. "How does it feel to lose to a failure, eh Shouto?"

I squeezed my eyes shut and grit my teeth, bracing myself for the worse.

That was when an explosion from a distance shook the whole place.

"B-Bakugou?!"

Just before he could land an explosive punch to Dabi, I created an ice wall strong enough to withstand it. Well, barely withstand it. The wall came crashing down once Bakugou stood with his back turned to me.

In my current situation, I don't even know how I was able to stay alive for the past few minutes, and I've never been more glad to see the short-tempered fire starter.

Dabi got away in the nick of time unscathed. "Yikes, that was close."

"Don't fucking dodge, you patchy bastard."

"Come now, is that any way to talk to your future brother-in-law?"

Bakugou's eyebrow twitched. "Agatha's changed. What makes you think she'll choose you over us?"

He shrugged in response. "Blood is thicker than filthy water."

"Oh yeah? Let's just hope your skin's just as thick, or else you're gonna need a hell lot more of those disgusting patches."

"Bakugou-"

"Shut the fuck up!" He turned to his shoulder over to me. "What the hell are you doing, lying around like that?! Aren't you supposed to be looking for Agatha?"

"I-I lost track of her."

He clicked in tongue in annoyance. "Then get up."

I blinked at him. "What about Aggy?"

"Why don't you use that head of yours to defeat the enemy in front of you first?"

Now that I've given it more thought, Bakugou's right. I shouldn't be thinking about anything else other than defeating Dabi.

I really am half-assed.

I forced myself up to my feet despite the sharp pain from my leg. "My bad, Bakugou. You saved me there."

"Like hell I saved you- don't decide that for yourself!"

"I got the message. Your attack earlier was meant to hit me too, right?"