twenty four: the L-word

The air was salty and the sun was warm on my skin as I watched the boys in my class either running around chucking sand at each other or trying to see who can hold their breath the longest under water.

It was our first day here in the Golden Leaf Resort in Okinawa and everyone's just crazy about the beach.

Even Aizawa was out in the sun- a miraculous sight for all of us.

The first thought that came to mind was that I've never seen a zombie walk under the sun without burning- God, I've been playing a lot of Minecraft lately thanks to the guys who introduced it to me on the way here. I was somewhat relieved that our teacher didn't just burst into flames.

For me though, I'm really not a fan of the sun. I kind of hate it. I mean I've spent a couple of years inside a psychiatric ward with little to no sunlight but it was all good, I learned how to adapt in that dark. So now that I'm at the sunny beach, I literally feel like a fried zombie.

"Hey! Come here! The water's fine!" Sero waved in our direction to join them.

The girls, aside from Mina, Tsuyu, Toru, and Uraraka who spared no time fixing their stuff under the spacious gazebo and are already having fun in the water, were either busy applying sunscreen or just sitting on the lounge chairs with no plan of ever getting near the water whatsoever.

Hence, I am both.

I wasn't wearing incredibly cute two-pieces like the rest of the girls, but it was fine. I was wearing shorts and a crop top sleeveless jacket to cover up my scars. I'm not one to get all insecure about my body but I'm not confident about it either.

Momo clapped her hands to get our attention once they were finished prepping. "Okay, so one of us has to stay here to guard our stuff just in case-"

"I'm already on it." I volunteered instantly and plopped down on one of the chairs.

Uraraka pouted at me and folded her arms over her chest. "You're not gonna swim?"

"Yeah I think I'm gonna sit this one out. The sun really isn't a friend of mine, but you guys have fun." The instant I said it, my chair floated and flipped around to drop me on the sand. "Hey!"

As if that wasn't enough, Uraraka deliberately bumped the table next to me so that the glass of orange juice would spill all over my clothes.

Great. Now I'm sticky and sandy.

I stared daggers at her after her whole attempt of getting me in the water.

"Oh gosh, I'm so sorry. I guess you're just gonna have to clean all that. You're in luck, the ocean's just a few feet away."

"Yeah, and so is the shower." I got up on my feet and started dusting myself off. "I'll meet you guys later. I'm just gonna clean up."

Uraraka sighed and finally gave up. "And I even bought you a cute bikini for this trip."

"Don't worry. I'm actually wearing it right now."

Everyone in Class 1-A stayed in different villas according to our preferences. The girls stayed in the one near the garden while the boys picked the one beside the bar.

On the way to the latter's villa, Shade appeared next to me on the ground and hissed at the warm sun every time it touched him.

"You really didn't have to follow me. You could've just stayed in the room and ordered room service."

It looked like he rolled his eyes at me in annoyance.

"Well you gotta suck it up, man. We're going to be here for 3 days, which is enough time to settle everything." I sighed.