Chapter 37: Watching and Waiting

I can't wait for this to be over, for me to finally get what I've been promised, what I deserve. They say good things come to those who wait, well I've waited long enough, and my good thing is within my grasp.

- unknown

Claire

Besides what happened with John this morning, and peoples reaction to my "finished" look (that's what I am calling my unwanted makeover), my birthday has been pretty uneventful. Although, I am a year older, and have found my mate, life still goes on, and I still need to keep monitoring the land to make sure it remains healthy. So that's what I set out to do after breakfast.

Originally my plan was to do this alone, and then head off to see Heather to tell her all that had happened, but Henry insisted on tagging along with me, which means that Heather won't really be listening to anything I say if he's in the room, so instead I decide to just drop in and say hello first before doing anything else.

Heather will probably appreciate seeing Henry this early in the day, this way she'll be able to give a real smile to all her customers all day, really its a win win for everyone involved... and hopefully Henry might finally open his eyes, and see whats right in front of him.

We didn't talk much as we made it to Heather's store, I was thinking deeply about John, wondering what he was going to do, and if he really  understood what I said to him. I don't know what Henry was thinking about, but he looked pretty upset, and sometimes I would catch him looking at me, with an expression I can not seem to name.
"Are you okay Henry?" I asked him softly, and he blinked rapidly, like he'd just woken up, he looked a bit startled

"Um, ah, I'm okay, or at least I will be" he said with a small smile. Now looking a bit nervous, which I guessed was for Heather.

To make sure, I made a mental note to look into his head when I got the chance. Although I didn't want to betray his trust, I also didn't want Heather to get hurt, and it's better safe than sorry right?

Heather greeted us with a huge smile as we stepped through the door.

"Finally people I don't have to smile for!" She cried

"Ha! Than why are you Smiling?"

"Duh Claire. Obviously because I'm happy you're here, to tell me everything I've missed"

Henry scoffed, "So I'm invisible now, your tellin' me that pretty smile ain't for me, not even a little?" He said with a smirk on his face.

Heather feigned a look of shock "Oh my,  Henry I didn't see you there! How are you?"

Henry shook his head "Woman, your lucky the treats you sell here are freakin' amazing, because if not you wouldn't be worth the stress"

Heather gasped dramatically, "Hush your mouth boy, Everyone knows that my personality alone makes me worth the stress, ain't that right Claire?"

I chuckled "That's exactly right Heather".

These two never fail to lift up a mood when they are together, I just can't tell if this is Henry flirting back or just being himself.

"What Claire? Your on her side, two against one is not fair!" He exclaimed, with a smirk on his face, while professionally checking out the goodies Heather was placing in her display case.