Chapter 39: Catching Up

Claire

The rest of my birthday was pretty calm. After literally running away from John, I made my way downstairs and spent the rest of the day catching up with everyone. It was nice.

I found out that Noah's mate was visually impaired, but also had an extrodinary gift, and although she would be useful for the upcoming battle, Her and Noah have agreed that she would be safer and more comfortable back at her pack. If she is to find or discover anything she will be a phone call away.

I told them what had happened to me, not everything but a good summary of what went down.

"Woah wait, your telling me that not only are you basically mother nature herself, but you are also an Empath?" Noah said in complete awe, and I had to take a minute to think, cause for one, I had never really given a name to my ability to change other people's emotions, but Empath seemed to fit the bill, and secondly, I don't think my empathetic ability is as strong as it was before I was tasked with the responsibility of protecting nature. It seems that I can only sense how people are feeling now, I can't do more besides that.

"Earth to Claire? You still gonna answer my question?"

I blinked, coming back to reality, and laughed at Noah's exasperated expression.

"My bad, I had think it through. I think as a result of my new gift with nature, I have lost some aspects of my other one. I can sense what people are feeling but I dont think I have the ability to manipulate those emotions anymore"

"Huh, that's interesting" said Sophia who was tucked under Noah's arm, "So you got one, but lost the other?"

"Seems that way. I'm not sure how I feel about it though, I loved my ability to heal people from the inside out." I said, a little sad about all the things I will no longer be able to do, but still honored for being chosen to protect mother earth the way I can.

"I know how I feel about it" John said coming down the stairs, "I hated how vulnerable that 'gift' left you" Stressing the word gift in a way that communicated that he saw it more as a curse than anything else.

"I worried about you endlessly," he continued, moving towards my spot on the couch. "You had absolutely no awareness of your surroundings, and are naturally a trouble magnet, I am glad it's gone."

"No one asked your opinion John" I said, glaring at him as he sat down beside me, placing his arms around my shoulders. and though I may be annoyed with him, we are still mates, and I craved his touch just as he craved mine, so I didn't push him away, instead I burrowed further into his embrace.

"What can I say, I'm a giver? He said, slightly shrugging his shoulders, and although I couldn't see his face I knew he was smirking, he thought he was so witty.

To make matters worse, both my brother and Noah started laughing!

"Please, don't encourage him" I pleaded drly
and then turning to John I said "On a serious note, You can't base the goodness of something based on how much danger it did or didn't put me in"

John scrunched up his face "Says who?" he growled.

That got a laugh out of everyone, even Henry who I noticed was being unusually quite throughout this conversation.

I rolled my eyes, deciding to change the topic, "So Sophia, when are you heading back to your pack, hopefully not too too soon?"

"Well, I apologise for ending the fun and merriment, but I was hoping we would get a chance to discuss exactly how you want us to deal with this rogue situation, My pack is the closest to this one, and we would be honoured to lend a hand." she said, snapping us all back to the seriousness of the situation we were currently in.

"Ahhh, the metaphoric elephant in the room" Henry said reclining the Lazy-boy chair he was sitting in, being a whole lot more calm then what the topic called for.

My brother gave him a worried side glance, but must have decided to speak with him later or something, because he continued as though Henry hadn't uttered a word.

"Do we have a plan, Alpha?"

John squeezed my shoulders, I looked up to see his face filled with Love and something I couldn't quite name. "You should be asking your sister, she's the one with the plan, I'm merely the puppet waiting for my strings to be pulled."
He placed a reverent kiss on the top of my head and whispered in my ear "Wow them baby"

That's when I realized what that look was on his face earlier. It was pride.

So wow them I did, and when all was said and done, Everyone agreed that it was a great plan of action, and that John would make the call tomorrow evening.

None of us being the wiser, that by tomorrow evening it would have been too late...

A/N

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, please leave comments, and let me know your thoughts...We are nearing the End!!!! I can't wait!!! The more Comments and Likes recieved the quicker I'll be encouraged to finish the next Chapter!!!

Thank you for reading!!!!

Diana Smith