day 32

day 32
13:13

"JIN isn't here." jaejoon half-lied to namjoon's face with a friendly smile.

this was his first time seeing the older boy who had jin entranced up close. in fact, this was the first time they'd ever spoken.

he was a few inches shorter than namjoon and tried to stand on his tippy-toes on the other side of the counter to appear taller.

he wanted to see if he could intimidate the already intimidating looking male. his plan, however, was unachievable; namjoon seemed bored with him.

a quick thought passed through jaejoon' mind: how can someone with purple hair look so scary in a beanie?

"i just wanted a carrot cake." namjoon said with a bored tone. his eyes stayed on jaejoon's face lazily and the uncaring expression had the boy squirming in his apron.

jaejoon frowned in confusion and surprise.

he was half offended that namjoon didn't want a strawberry shortcake from him, especially when he baked more than half of the ones he's consumed.

"is that all?" he tapped the order into the computer with his index finger. when namjoon nodded silently, jaejoon gave him his total and placed the cash into the register.

"where is jin anyway?" namjoon asked slowly, almost embarrassed to be asking the question in the first place.

jaejoon glanced around the shop, his eyes stopping at taehyung and hoseok. the two hadn't seemed to notice namjoon enter. "he's out making deliveries." he informed slowly.

jin wasn't making deliveries—not really. he was present in the area giving a few pastries to some shop owners on the block. the manager of the store had come in earlier asking for an employee to do it and jin so happened to fall into the responsibility.

so, jin was technically at work and was making deliveries. but jaejoon figured namjoon took it in a way that seemed as if the older male was off somewhere far, when in reality, jin was probably next door.

"you guys deliver?"

"no."

namjoon tilted his head to the side, lost. before he could ask for clarification, his order of carrot cake was ready.

jaejoon slipped his things into a bag, figuring namjoon would leave rather than stay if jin wasn't here.

"i didn't pay for a strawberry shortcake," namjoon saw the employee slip his favorite dessert into the upright, periwinkle bag.

"i know," jaejoon slid the bag across the counter with a shrug. "it's on me."

"oh," an awkward laugh escaped namjoon's lips, and for once in front of jaejoon, he looked awkward instead of cool. "look, dude," he started off apologetically, "i'm not exactly interested—"

"dumbass!" jaejoon's sudden outburst got the attention of a few customers. a blush began to creep across his nose and cheeks as he bowed in apology.

"i can't believe you're out in these streets trying to take jin's man," hoseok shook his head in shame as he passed the two and waltzed into the kitchen. he gave namjoon a quick nod in greeting before disappearing behind the heavy doors.

"oh no, baby, what is you doing." taehyung joined in, grabbing a rag to wipe a dirty table nearby.

"asses of dumbness, all of you," jaejoon pointed his finger with slitted eyes. the blush on his face hadn't faded and he could feel the tips of his ears heating up under namjoon's gaze.

"it's a thank you cake." jaejoon began to clear up to namjoon when taehyung was out of ear-shot. "jin is like my older brother in a way. i'm not sure if he sees me that way also, but it doesn't change the fact that i admire and care for him as much as i do.

it's a thank you cake for how much brighter you've made his life in the last couple of weeks. it's a thank you cake because i can't imagine a time where jin was happier. it's a thank you cake because jin would want it to be one, and i'm glad he finally has someone to thank."

the mini speech caused namjoon's heart to beat in his ears. he opened his mouth to say something, but choked words were all he was able to get out, so he settled for a smile.

he gathered his bag of carrot cake (that he bought for yoongi; the older didn't come inside) and the nice addition of his strawberry shortcake and turned to leave.

but as he looked up, the bell above the door chimed.

he instantly locked eyes with the man who is able to make his world stop and speed up backwards; kim seokjin.

***

dis gon end soon