One

It was morning, and a layer of rain covered New York City. A sweet scent of freshly baked bread wafted up from Y/N's window.
"New day, fresh start." Y/N yawned as you went out of the bathroom, hair put up in a messy bun. You chose a hoodie and pants for the day, and your wand for an umbrella.
You quickly went down the stairs, checking your mail as you went. As the smell of bread wafted even stronger, you jogged to the bakery, where a long line of people were already waiting.
"Ah, Y/N!" A slightly chubby man called as you entered his bakery.
"Hello, Jacob!" You said cheerfully. "I see you've made more of those platypus-like cookies today!"
"Yeah, people are cramming into my store just to get one of those! It sells better than my other cookies and tarts. I really don't know where all these people come from! It's like an infestation, really!" Jacob joked as he handed you your daily order, a hot baguette.
"Mmm, this smells heavenly. Thanks, Jacob!" You smiled as you took the bread out of his shop, the bell jingling behind you as you went.
As you went along the road back to your home, you noticed the church, blackened and broken. You remembered the man you saw bunched up on the floor yesterday, and started heading your way to the church. Suddenly, you stopped mid-walk and ran back to your home, grabbing a few leaflets before leaving again.

"Hello?" You asked as you creaked open the door. A small white butterfly flitted out the broken windows.
The man looked up, worry burning in his veins. He saw a Y/H/C haired and Y/E/C eyed girl coming in with a bag of bread. Somehow she looked familiar to him. A slight memory floated into his mind, replaying itself.

"After you finish handing out the leaflets you can come home, Credence." Mary Lou said, as she strode back to the church with Chastity and Modesty at her sides. "Yes, Ma." Credence replied, head bowing down even lower.
He gave out the leaflets in silence. Many people crumpled them up and threw it into the nearest rubbish bin. But there was one person in particular that Credence remembered. "Thank you." A sweet voice said, after receiving one of the leaflets. It was a very rare occurrence that somebody thanked him for something. Credence immediately looked up to see a Y/H/C haired girl reading the leaflet. "N-no problem." He whispered back. "Have a nice day, mister!" The girl smiled, heading away. Credence looked after her, absently handing out another leaflet. "You too."
Credence laid in his hard bed for a long time that night. That girl actually thanked him for something. It was the first time that somebody talked to him while he was handing out the Second Salem leaflets. And a new feeling blossomed like a rose inside his chest.

You walked around, looking at the crashed windows, broken furniture and wrecked wood.
A faint whimper came from the black stairs.
"You can come out!" You said softly, peering to the stairs. A pair of nearly-black eyes stared back, red and puffy from crying.
"I-I don't k-know you." The man hunched even more.
"It's alright. I go to your rallies and get leaflets. I saw you before." You headed closer, stepping lightly, holding up the leaflets and setting them down onto a broken chair.
"Wh-who are you?" He asked, starting to tremble.
"Oh. I'm Y/N." You extended your hand towards him, and he shrunk back into the shadows.
Trying to keep all your motions slow, you sat down slowly. "I saw you in here, hunching on the floor yesterday. I live just across the road." You said gently, crossing your legs.
The man looked up instantly. "Y-you le-left a light on ye-yesterday?" He asked cautiously.
"Yes, I did." You said eagerly, but kept your voice to a minimum.
He slid down one step of the stairs. "I saw you." He said.
"Oh...I was looking out the window yesterday." You said, shuffling closer slowly.
He slid down one more step, and the light reflected on his face. You gasped at his sunken cheeks, dark circles under his eyes and the amount of grit and dirt covering his whole face.
He heard your faint gasp and quickly shuffled back into the shadows, only his deep-set eyes reflecting the light. As he moved, the palms of his hand showed, revealing long gashes and dried blood.
"I'm sorry! You have to trust me." You extended your hand again.
"W-why should I trust y-you?" He croaked, shoving his hands inside his lap.
"Because you need help." You said softly, taking out your daily order of bread.
"I-I'm fine." He said.
"I saw your hands." You offered him the bread.
He whimpered softly, shoving his hands even deeper.
"I've seen you getting beat from my window." You whispered.
He looked down at the floor, huddling into a ball. His eyes glassed up.
"I know you need help. What's your name?" You asked, putting the warm bread in front of him.
"C-Credence. Credence B-Barebone." He whispered, nearly inaudible. He looked at you with his beautiful eyes, tears starting to melt back into his eyes.
"That's a very lovely name, Credence." You said quietly, looking back at him with your Y/E/C eyes.
Credence's heart did a flutter as you mentioned his name. Your voice was soft and gentle, and trusting.
He slowly picked up the bread and smelt it. You tried hard not to smile big. Cautiously, he took a small bite out of it.
"It was from Jacob's bakery. Does it taste nice?" You asked, smiling.
He nodded, chewing. Somehow, seeing you smile did another pitter-patter to his heart.
He couldn't explain this feeling.
You stood up slowly.
"Let's get you to a place where you can heal."