Ten

After Credence left, you were on cloud nine. You flew around your apartment all morning, getting ready for work. You showered and got dressed and you were out the door. You walked to work with a little skip in your step. You couldn't stop thinking about him, or maybe it was the way he hugged you, that seared your brain. It was so unexpected, so tight. You smiled just thinking about it.

You walked into work the happiest you had been in a long time.

Everything went so good that day at work, you were so happy and felt like a new person.

You didn't go looking for Credence that day after work. You decided to wait till the next evening at the coffee shop to see him. You just wanted time to go faster so you could see him again. You went to bed early so the time would go as fast as it could.

You tried to keep busy the next day. You worked a short morning shift so you had most of the day at home. You tried your hardest to keep busy and not think about the fact that you were going to get coffee with your new friend.

You read your favorite book, cleaned, drew a lot of pictures, trying to get your mind of off everything.

Finally it was time to get ready. You started to pick out your dress. It was much harder than you thought it was going to be. You felt kind of stupid that you cared so much. After all he was just a friend, right? You started to think about him being more than that. Then you quickly wiped that from your thoughts. He wasn't ready for that kind of relationship. He needed a friend, that was it.

You finally picked out your dress. It was a long sleeve, pale yellow dress with a white collar.

You fixed your hair and put on your hat. You went to the book shelf in your room and ran your fingers across the spines of the books. You wanted to bring Credence a book for him to borrow.

After you picked out the perfect book you headed to the door and put on your coat. You paused for a second, gathering yourself for the night ahead. You smiled and closed the door behind you.

You walked out into the cold evening. You were so excited to see Credence. Even though it had only been a day, you missed him. You walked the whole way with a small smile across your face. You arrived at the coffee shop a few minutes early. You scanned the room making sure he hadn't gotten there first. He wasn't there, so you went to the corner booth and sat, facing the door so you wouldn't miss when you came.

Ten minutes had passed, no Credence. It was passed 7:00. He must be running late, or he couldn't get away from his mother.

7:33.... No Credence.

7:52.... You were starting to get nervous. You stood up and headed for the door.

You stepped out into the cold air, walking in the direction of the Second Salem church, where he lived. When you finally got near the church, you saw him standing quite a few feet away from the church, in the cold, handing flyers to people that passed by. People pushed past him in a hurry to get to their destination. Slowly you made your way to him. His back was facing you, so he didn't see you coming. You lightly tapped his shoulder. He turned around and his red, puffy eyes looked at you. Quietly he said, "I'm sorry, I couldn't come." Tears began to fall from his sad eyes. You wiped them away saying, "It's fine. We can try another time."

"I don't think that's a good idea." He said walking away, towards the church. You quickly caught up with him, gently grabbing his arm. "Hey, What's wrong? What happened?" He stood still, head bowed, and shoulder hunched. "Credence?" You said, while lifting his chin. "W-Why do you do all of this for me?" He said shifting his eyes to yours. "Because you need help and a friend and..." You sighed, looking down. "And I-I love you..." You looked back up to see shock in Credence's eyes. He thought for a second he heard you wrong, but looking at your face he knew he didn't.