Thirty-One

A/N: Some serious shit here. The stats are dropping. The first few chapters have 1.1K reads, and the twenty-somethingth chapter has 18 reads. Where has everybody gone? 

The train ride took forever, as trips home usually do. You and Credence had woken up early and said goodbye to your family. It was hard to leave them, but you were excited to get home, back to the life of just you and Credence.

You finished the book that you had started on the trip up to Maine. You leaned against Credence's chest, your legs curled up on the seat and read to him. He wrapped his arms around you, one hand held the back of yours and rested on your stomach.
He loved it when you read to him. He would just close his eyes and listen to the story, forgetting the world around him.

The trip was finally over and you were in a taxi on your way to your apartment. You felt different. Credence knew more about your past and had met your family. Things were just different.

The sun was starting to set when you got home. You paid the driver and got your suitcases out of the back of the car. You and Credence stood at the steps of the building, looking up at it. You both missed it so much. Credence couldn't believe how much a missed a place. Before, he never wanted to come back to the place that was home, but now he loves the place he calls home.

You unlocked the door and pushed it open, carrying your heavy suitcase through. You turned back to see Credence standing in the doorway with a small smile on his face, looking around the room. "What?" You asked. "I just missed it."
You smiled at him. "I did too."

About an hour later, you had eaten dinner and now you laid on the couch, reading while Credence sat at the kitchen table drawing. "I'm gonna go get ready for bed." You said, putting your book on the coffee table. "Okay." He answered. "You take the bed tonight."
"Credence-" "I won't take no for an answer." He insisted. You smiled as you walked over to him. Leaning over you kissed his cheek. "Thank you." You went upstairs and got ready for bed. You were so exhausted, so you fell asleep quickly.

Credence woke up softly. The clock on the mantle said it was well passed 8:00. He half expected to sit up and see you in the kitchen, but when he did you weren't there. He laid back down and rubbed his eyes, waking up a little more. A few minutes later he decided to continue his drawing from last night.

Almost an hour had passed and you still weren't up. He was a little worried, so he made his way quietly up the stairs. You were laying on your side, and you were clearly awake. He walked deeper into the room. "Are you gonna get up?" He asked in the sweetest voice. You shifted a little and said, "I don't feel well. I'm sick." He came closer to you with a worried look on his face. "Are you okay?" He asked. You gave him a weak smile. "Yeah. I think it's just a fever." He moved his hand to your forehead, tentatively. "Can I get you anything?" He asked as he continued to rub your face, gently. "I'm okay. I don't feel like eating." You answered.
"Well, you should have something." He was kneeling down on his knees, beside the bed. "Credence, I'm fine. Really." You loved the way he was worried. He looked at you so lovingly, you felt your face turn a shade of pink.
You started to sit up, saying, "I just remembered, there is so much to do. There are bills that have to be payed, the house is a mess and we need groceries." You pulled the covers from over you, starting to stand up. "Y/N, no. You need to rest." Credence insisted, trying to lay you back down. "But there's so much to do." You said, weakly. "And you can do them when you get better, but for now you need to rest." He said, pulling the covers back over you. You smiled at him again, and reached up to touch his cheek. "You're the best."
He smiled back at you. "Go back to sleep."

Quite a few hours later you woke up. You were groggy and you felt worse. Rubbing your eyes, you shifted in your bed. You blinked away the sleepiness and noticed a beautiful sight. A bouquet of flowers on the bedside table. But not just any flowers, daisies. A smiled spread across your face. Your head was still pounding, but you felt happiness overcome you.
You laid there for a few minutes, then Credence started to come up the stairs. You sat up a little and smiled at him. "Hey." He said, quietly as he walked over, carrying a tray. He set it down in your lap. "I-I made you some soup."
"You made it? How? We don't have any food in the house." You said.
"I went- I went to the market."
"Really?.... Is that where you got these?" You said, gesturing to the daisies. He nodded, look away from you. "I love them." Your head was bowed but your eyes were looking at Credence. His head turned back to you and you smiled at him. Leaning forward, you put your hand on his. "I really do."
He did the most adorable little shy laugh as he bowed his head again. You stared at him for a minute.