Twenty-Nine

Your eyes opened slowly. They were heavy and tired. It took you a minute to remember everything that had happened the night before. You were
laying on your back and there was something heavy on top of you. You lifted your head up to see Credence's head laying on your stomach, his arm wrapped around your waist. You smiled, laying your head back down. You put your hands on his head, gently playing with his hair. It had grown a bit since you had met him. It wasn't so perfect and straight.

After a few minutes he started to wake up. When he realized where he was and what he was doing he sat up quickly, and scooted over. "Sorry." "It's fine." You smiled, looking over at him. After laying there for a while, you moved over and laid your head on his chest. "So I was thinking, today I want to show you around Portland." You said, wrapping your arm around him. "Yeah" He said. "And then we can come back and bake Christmas cookies!" You said excitedly.

After you both woke up a bit and started to hear people awake downstairs, you decided to get up. You opened the door and turned to Credence standing behind you. "Merry Christmas Eve!" You said excitedly, remembering what day it was.

You both walked downstairs, your hands were loosely intertwined. You both weren't as embarrassed as you were before. "Oh my goodness, Credence." Your mother said after you both walked into the room. "We were worried sick." She walked over and carefully hugged him. He awkwardly stood there, his arms pinned to his sides as she hugged him. You smiled looking beside you at the sight. She let go and noticed your intertwined hands. "So, you guys are okay?" She asked, walking back to what she was doing. "Yeah, we're good." You smiled, looking up at Credence.
"Today I'm going to show Credence around Portland." You told your mom. "And then when we get back we're going to make Christmas cookies."
"That sounds nice!" She said.

After you and Credence ate breakfast you went upstairs to get ready for the day. You got your clothes from your suitcase and went to the bathroom to change. After you changed, you left the bathroom and went out into the hallway. You opened your door. "Oh my gosh, I'm sorry." You yelled, pulling the door cracked, standing back in the hall. You had walked in on Credence changing into his shirt. But you had noticed something. "Credence." You said in a worried voice. "Your back." You stood in front of the slightly cracked door, your hand resting on the knob. You stared at the door, feeling tears well up in your eyes. "C-Can I come in?" You peaked in a little to see him nod.
You slowly pushed the door open and walked in, closing the door behind you. You walked slowly toward him. He stood uncomfortably, holding his shirt in his hands. Tears ran down your cheeks at the sight of his back. It was red and scarred. "Credence." You whispered. "I didn't know." He bowed his head. You reached out your hand and touched arm. He flinched a little at your touch. "Can I?-" You started. He turned a little so his side faced you.
You covered your mouth with your hand. There were lashes from his own belt. Some were older and white, some were pink and some were more visible. You lightly ran your fingers down the scars. He pulled away, uncomfortably. You sighed, bowing your head. "Credence, I'm so sorry." He stood still, his head shaking a bit, like we did when he was hurt.
You stood in front of him and placed your hand on his cheek. "I deserved it." He said so quietly. "No, Credence. No, you didn't." You placed your other hand on his cheek, holding his face. "Don't say that. No one deserves to be treated that way." You looked deeply into his sad eyes. "Especially you." You wiped away his tears with your thumb. "You're so strong. You know that?" You smiled at him, trying to help him feel better. You pulled his head to yours, resting your foreheads together. "I love you so much, Credence." You told him. "I-I love you too." He said, lunging into a hug. He held you so tight.

After you hugged him for quite a while you let go. You both stood there for a minute, wiping away tears and sniffling. You bit your lip, thinking. "Give me your belt." You said, not looking him in the eye. His head shot up, and with a worried look in his eye he began unbuckle his belt. You held out your hand and he gave it to you. You then walked over to the trash bin and threw it in. "You don't need that hanging over you." You said, walking back to him. "We can get you a new one if you want, but you're not keeping that." He lunged into a hug again, burying his face in your neck. "Thank you." His voice was muffled from your hug. "Anytime." You hugged his bare back hard, but you were still so gentle and kind. Credence felt a little uncomfortable not having a shirt on. You could tell to, so you were very considerate not to make things more uncomfortable. You didn't rub his back, you hugged him with your hands in tight fists, still hugging tight.