Fourteen

IM SO IRRESPONSIBLE TO MY BOOKS SORRY

All you could think about that night and the next day was how mysterious Credence was acting. You knew you didn't know everything about him, but this was such a big thing. You felt like you had to know what was going on.

The morning after you had found out about the mysterious man, you went to see Credence before you went to work.

He was standing in the middle of the sidewalk, handing out flyers, like he always was. He seemed a little nervous to see you.

He saw you from afar and turned around, casting his eyes to the ground. You walked to him and stood behind him, waiting for him to turn around. He didn't, so you walked around him as he stood, staring at the ground.

"Are you gonna talk to me?" You asked, trying to make his eyes meet yours. "Credence, Please. I need to know what's going on." He bowed his head lower and said, "I-I can't"

"Is-Is he hurting you?" You asked, with concern in your voice. "No." He said, quietly. "You'd tell me if he was?" Your placed your and on his forearm. He faintly nodded as your hand moved to cheek. "Well, I have to go to work. I'll see you later." You stood there looking at him, lovingly for a few seconds. Then walked away to the coffee shop.

The whole day you were worried for Credence. Even though he told you nothing was wrong, you still had this feeling the man was up to no good. After work you went home and spent the day around your apartment.

Later that evening you were snuggled up on the couch, reading, when you heard a knock on the door.

You went to the door and opened it. Credence. He was standing hunched over. His head bowed and his arms pressed tightly to his sides. "Credence! Come in." You said, slightly shocked to see him. He shuffled in stiffly.

"Come sit." You motioned to the couch. Making your way to the kitchen you said, "I'll make you some tea."

You walked back to the living room holding two mugs full of steaming tea. You set them on the coffee table in front of you. Then sat next to Credence, watching him as he uncomfortably shifted around. "What's wrong?" You asked, placing your hand on his back. He flinched a little when he felt your hand on him. You sat there in silence.

"Please, Credence. You can tell me anyth-."

"Do you think I'm freak?" He cut in.

"No, not at all... Who called you that?"

He shook his head and stuttered quietly, "A lot of people call me that."

"Well, you're not. Okay?" You comforted, pulling his chin towards you, so he would look at you. "Okay?" You said, looking into his eyes as tears began to fill yours. He closed his eyes tightly, sending tears down his cheeks.

You sat there on the couch next to him. Your hand on his cheek and your forehead resting on his shoulder. His body began to shake and tears fell faster. He moved his arm around your waist, hugging you tight. You stayed like that for a while, hugging.

"I should go." Credence whispered, after you had embraced each other for a long while. "Okay." You said, hugging him a little tighter. You both stood up and walked to the door.

Standing awkwardly a few feet away you quickly walked forward, grabbing his face and pulling him into a kiss. Credence froze for second. Then wrapped his arms around you, kissing you back, hard.

You slowly pulled away, resting your forehead on his, and said, "Stay safe."

He nodded, putting his hand on your cheek. He looked you right in the eyes, something he almost never did. He didn't say a word, but his eyes spoke to you. They were thankful that you cared about him, that you took care of him and made him feel safe.

He turned around and went out the door, leaving you still worried for him.

The next morning you went out to get the morning paper. The headline read 'Senator Shaw Killed!'