Twenty-Three

A/N: Thanks for being such avid readers. The last time I checked the stats, we've risen to 12 in #fantastic and #18 in #fantasticbeastsandwheretofindthem out of 212 stories! 

Stepping out into the cold weather was difficult for Credence. He hadn't been outside in over 2 weeks. The city was just as busy as he remembered. Cars passed and people walked quickly to their destinations. Wearing his new coat, Credence walked through the doorway, out into the city. You walked close behind, shutting the door. He stood there examining the city. You watched him, making sure he was okay. You guided him down the stairs onto the sidewalk, people rushing passed you. You looked up at Credence again, checking on him. He seemed a little tense and his breathing was rapid. You hooked your arm in his, reminding him you were there with him. He looked down at you. "You can do this, Credence. I know you can." You told him, giving him a little more confidence. He nodded, pressing his lips together tight.

You began to walk, arm in arm. After a few blocks you got to your first stop. You pulled the door open, the warmth of the shop welcoming you in. You walked around, looking at all of the different things. You walked over to a corner, arms still hooked. "My mom would love this." You said, looking at a small necklace. You decide to buy it.

The two of you walked around the city, holding a few bags. You had gotten a gift for each person in your family. You walked up to a coffee shop. "I was thinking, we should get some hot cocoa." You told Credence, pulling the door open. It was pretty busy, due to the holidays. You looked back at Credence. His eyes were filled with fear. "How about we just go home and make some cocoa?" You said, not wanting to push him. "No- I'm okay." He said, trying to hide his fear. "Are you sure?"
He nodded in response.
"Okay. You can go sit down. I'll get the drinks." You said, pointing to the corner booth. He walked over and sat down.
That was the booth you sat in when you were waiting for Credence, that time you invited him for coffee. You were excited to finally do this with him.

After a while of waiting in line, you finally got your drinks. You took them over to the booth and set them on the table. "Here. They have the best hot cocoa ever." You said, placing the mug in front of him. You sat down and you both took a sip at the same time. When you pulled the mugs away, you both had whipped cream mustaches. You laughed at each other. The sight of Credence being happy made your eyes fill with tears. You wiped away the mustache and stared at him while he took another sip. He looked so carefree, even if it was just for a second.

After you finished your cocoas, you left the busy coffee shop. You walked out into the cold, busy city once again. "Let's head back to my apartment- I mean, our apartment." You said, gently nudging his shoulder. He looked down and gave you a small smile, his cold cheeks turning even redder. You wanted to make him feel like he had a home, a place to feel safe.

Walking through the crowd of people you felt Credence grab your hand and pull you to stop walking. "Credence?" You looked back at him to see his face filled with fear. You walked closer to him. He was looking at something in the distance. You turned to see what it was. The church. Where he used to live. It was just across the street. You gripped his hand tighter, looking back up at him. "Come on, let's go home." You said, trying to pull him in the direction of the apartment. He didn't move. He just had a blank stare and his eyes were filling with tears. "Credence." You said, trying to get him to keep walking. "Credence, let's go home. Please." He pulled away, starting to jog across the street. "Credence!" You said, following him. Cars were honking at you two, as you ran across.

He stopped, standing in front of the door. "Credence." You said, when you finally caught up with him. He just stood there, staring at the door. He lifted his hand to touch the door knob, but he froze. "It's too soon." You said, putting your hand on his back, gently rubbing it. "Please." Your eyes, started to fill with tears at the sight of him. He bowed his head, closing his eyes. Tears fell down to the ground. He slowly lowered his hand. You moved your hand to his cheek. "Come on." You whispered, your voice cracking from your emotions. He nodded. You wrapped your hand around his and lead him back across the street. The rest of the way Credence walked with his head bowed and his hand felt limp in yours.

You finally got to your front door. You unlocked it and lead Credence inside. His head hung and his shoulders where hunched over. You hadn't seen him like this in a while. You helped him out of his coat and hung it up. You put the shopping bags up in your room. Coming down the stairs you saw Credence just standing in the middle of the room, still in his hunched position. You felt tears come to your eyes. Seeing him like this broke your heart. You walked down the rest of the stairs and stood next to him. You placed your hand on his arm. "Credence?" You said, quietly. "I'm so sorry. I wasn't thinking. I shouldn't have taken that way home." You rambled. He started to sob and turned to face you. He rested his head on your shoulder. "It's not your fault. I should be stronger." He blubbered out. "No." You said, lifting him from you shoulder. You held his face and said, "You are so strong. Don't be so hard on yourself." You wiped away fallen tears with you thumb. He nodded. "Come here." You said, pulling into a hug. You rubbed his back and he squeezed you so tightly.

You lead him over to the couch. You sat down and he sat next to you. You pulled him closer to you and he laid his on your shoulder. He wrapped both of his hands around yours. You reached over and picked up the book you were reading. You spent the rest of the afternoon sitting on the couch reading. Credence just sat there, playing with your hand. He examined it, rubbing his fingers across your scarless palm. To him your hands were perfect. He thought to himself how thankful he was that you hadn't had to endure the things he had to. He moved his head down, to your lap. Still playing with your hand he moved it to his face. He held it to his cheek. You looked down from your book and smiled at him. You moved your thumb in circles on his pale skin. Tears fell slowly down the sides of his face. He moved your hand to his mouth and kissed it lovingly. "I love you, (Y/N)." He said, quietly. "I love you too, Credence." You smiled down at him.

To be continued...