Twenty-Five

The whole day was filled with running errands and packing. You were leaving tomorrow to go see your family in Maine. You were really nervous about Credence meeting your family. And you were nervous about your family meeting Credence. You didn't know what their reaction would be. He was so different from other people, you didn't know what they would think of him. You of course didn't tell Credence any of this. You didn't want him to worry.

"Are you sure they'll like me?" He asked shyly, that morning while you were heading out the door to run errands. "Credence." You said, "I already told you, I know they will." You felt bad for lying, but you couldn't flat out tell him you weren't sure.

You went to a shop and got a suitcase for Credence. You could tell he was really excited to have something like this, of his own. You got a few more things then went back home.

You pulled your suitcase from underneath your bed and put it on top of the bed. You opened it and moved it over making room for Credence's. "Here. " you said. "You can put yours here." He put his next you yours and you went over to your closet to pick out what you were going to pack. "I've- I've never packed a suitcase before." He said quietly. You turned to face him then walked over to the dresser and opened a drawer. You had moved all your clothes to your closet, making room for Credence's clothes.

You took out a small pile of folded shirts. "You just pack as many things you need for as many days we're going to be there." You said, handing the shirts to him. "So, we're going to be there for four days." He placed them gently in the suitcase. You walked back to the closet and took out some dresses. You folded them and put them neatly in your suitcase.

You were leaving early the next morning so you put the suitcases by the door. You spent the rest of the afternoon wrapping the gifts you had bought for your family. You sneaked the gift you had gotten Credence into your bag. You wanted to completely surprise him.

After dinner you both laid on the couch. The Christmas tree shined as the crackling fire lit the room. You laid in the outside of the couch, reading your book and Credence laid on the inside of the couch. He was nuzzled in your neck, smelling your sweet perfume he had grown to adore. He had smelled it the first time you had bumped into each other on the street. Both your hands were clasped together, resting on your stomach as you read under the blankets. You felt it was important for Credence to experience moments like this. When nothing was happening but complete embrace. You had to admit you loved it too. The feeling of his breath on your neck was everything. The gentle touch of his fingers grazing over yours was amazing. And the faintest feeling of his eyelashes on your neck, gave you butterflies.

"Are you excited to see your family tomorrow?" He said, breaking the long silence. You put your book down and placed your hand on top of his. "Yeah." You said, with a bit of nervousness in your voice. You tried to hide it, but you were so nervous about this trip. You of course failed. Credence could always tell when you weren't your normal self. He lifted his head to see your face. "Are you okay?" He asked, sweetly. "Yeah- yeah, I'm fine." You shook your head. He continued to look at you, knowing you weren't. You sighed. "I'm just really nervous."
"About what? You said it'll be fine."
He said, laying his head back on your shoulder. "It will." You continued. "I just hope you feel comfortable with everything."
"Don't worry about me." He said a few seconds later.
"All I do is worry about you." You said. "I want you to be happy. You deserve that." You shifted a little, turning to your side to face him. "I just hope one day you realize that." You looked right in his eyes. Your clasped hands rested in between you. He looked down, breaking eye contact. "You make me feel like happiness is possible." He whispered, staring at your hands. You smiled at this, squeezing his hands tighter and scooting in closer. "You're so special, Credence. So brave and kind." You paused, staring at his blushing face. "You're everything to me." You said, pulling your intertwined hands to your chest, hugging them tight. His eyes glanced up to yours. They became glossy with tears. He quickly blinked them away, not wanting to break down. "For so long-" He started, then cleared his throat. "For so long I wished for someone- someone like you. Who would touch me with kindness instead of the roughness I'd gotten so used to." He paused, still staring at your hands in his. "That night in the alley when you held my hands." He started to tear up. "That was the first gentle touch I'd had, in- well since I can remember."
You both laid there in silence, foreheads resting against each other. "Why did you trust me? You didn't even know me." You asked, a little while later. "I don't know. The way you touched me, I could feel it." He answered, quietly. You smiled at this. "Why did you take me in? You didn't know me either." He asked, now looking you in the eye. "You needed help. I couldn't just leave you there in the cold" You told him. You bit your lip, debating on whether or not to tell him how you felt from the beginning. "To be honest, ever since that day we bumped into each other." You paused for a second, mustering the courage. "I couldn't stop thinking about you. And then I found you in that alley and then the next morning when you hugged me. "You smiled at the fond memory.

"I think I've fallen in love with you, Credence." You said a minute later. Credence felt his stomach flip at your words. He couldn't believe what you had said. Yes, you had told him that you loved him, but this was different. Love can be for anyone, in any relationship. But this was special. This was a different love that was just for him. He looked up into your eyes. The way you looked at him made his heart beat even faster than before. He felt a fog move over his eyes. The room began to shake a little. You both quickly sat up and he snapped out of his trance. He stood up and went to the other side of the room, his back facing you. "Credence?" You said, quietly. "You can't." He said, quite louder than he was hoping for. "You can't love me. Not when I'm like this." He covered his face with his hands. You watched him with sad eyes, sitting up on the couch. "I'm not worthy of this love, your love." His voice faded as he spoke. "Credence, come here." You said, patting the place beside you. He reluctantly walked over and sat beside you. You pulled him into you, hugging his head to your chest. "Everyday I wake up and wonder why you stay with me." You began. "I'm not what's best your you. That man in the subway, Newt. He could help you, and teach you how to control your power." Credence sat up, wiping tears from his red eyes. "I feel like I'm holding you back from something better." Credence didn't know how to respond to this. He couldn't lie, he had thought about what it would've been like if he had gone with Newt. He probably would have learned a lot about magic and possibly have his own wand by now. But he felt awful for thinking these things. You had done so much for him and it would crush you if he left. He also didn't know if he could make it without you. "They don't even know I'm alive." He said, quietly. "Who did I come to first, when I woke up?" He stared into your eyes lovingly. You smiled at him. He pulled you closer to him and laid back down on the couch. You rested your head against his chest and he held you tightly around the shoulders. You closed your eyes, enjoying his embrace. "I'm right where I want to be." He said a while later. He held your hand that rested on his chest and rubbed it gently with his thumb. "Me too." You said, nuzzling closer to him.