Chapter XIV

I was on the floor in front of the fire place, throwing pieces of paper into the fire, while Sirius and James were playing wizard’s chess and Remus was, like always, reading a book on the couch. Mrs Potter was cooking dinner and Mr Potter was feeding the owls. They were incredibly nice, especially after having been at the Black’s.  

‘I’m soooo bored.’ I complained while rolling over so I was on my stomach.

I was ignored. ‘Remus what are you reading?’ I asked him.

He looked up at me. ‘A book.’ He said while raising an eyebrow

‘Well geez, thanks a lot. I wouldn’t have guessed.’ I laughed. ‘I meant what is it about?’

He put it down. ‘It is about a sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives in a post-apocalyptic world in the country of Panem where the countries of North America once existed. The Capitol, a highly advanced metropolis, holds hegemony over the rest of the nation. The Hunger Games are an annual event in which one boy and one girl aged 12 to 18 from each of the 12 districts surrounding the Capitol are selected by lottery to compete in a televised battle in which only one person can survive.’

‘Cool.’ I said while sitting up. ‘Can I read it when you’re finished.’

He nodded. ‘Sure, no problem.’ A few minutes later I was annoying James and Sirius. I was poking them and ruining their game by telling them what to do next. When they sent me away I joined Mrs Potter in the kitchen.

‘Can I help?’ I asked hopefully and she kindly shook her head.

‘No need, I like cooking.’ She looked at me. ‘Are you bored, my dear?’ I nodded sadly. ‘Come.’ She said and I followed her out of the kitchen and up the stairs. She opened a door and walked inside and I hesitantly followed her. She gave me a rectangular thing that I quickly recognized as a laptop. My eyes twinkled and I smiled. ‘A muggle-born friend of mine once gave it to me.’ She told me before we went back downstairs where she resumed the cooking and I started up the laptop.

‘What are you doing?’ Sirius asked me a while later.

‘Oh now he shows interest.’ I teased.

‘I was playing wizard’s chess woman.’ He teased back as he sat down next to me. ‘Now tell me, what are you doing?’

‘Youtube.’ I said.

‘What?’ He asked sounding extremely confused.

‘Never mind.’ I laughed. Then Mrs Potter called us for dinner.

I tried to eat as normally as possible but failed miserably as I was stuffing my face after three minutes. ‘I’m sorry, they have a bad influence on me.’ I apologised to the Potters who laughed.

Sirius huffed. ‘Yeah sure, we have a bad influence on you. You ate like this long before we became friends.’

‘How do you know stalker?’ I asked with a smirk.

‘That’s one of the things I like about you. The way you eat like a pig and act like a lady.’ He smiled.

I raised an eyebrow. ‘Is that supposed to be a compliment or…?’ I asked uncertainly.

‘Course it is, babe.’

‘Mhm, sure.’ I said sarcastically before childishly sticking my tongue out at him.

‘Stop it you two.’ James complained. ‘I’m trying to eat without having to vomit.’

‘You’re just jealous because Evans won’t go out with you.’ Sirius said and James went red. We were used to our behaviour but Mr and Mrs Potter laughed and asked Remus, who had put his book away for dinner, if we were always like this. Remus laughed and nodded in confirmation.