Avengers get Guilt Tripped by a Secretary

The last month has been full of filling Wanda's time. Trying to get her mind off of Lagos.

Good thing I know how to get peoples minds off things.

I have a lot of practice on myself.

   "Eleven Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria last month." Stacy Mathews reported.

   "The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos, when the attack occurred."

The scene cut away to a press conference with the king of Wakanda, King T'Chaka.

  "Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil not only because of the actions of criminals but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent is no victory at all."

If only it was that simple. Wasn't Beck innocent?

Aren't all us demigods?

Did we ask to be born like this?

To be hunted? To be used? To be a pawn in some immortal's game of chess?

   Stacy started talking again. "The Wakandan king went on to-" Steve muted the TV.

  We could hear a guy talking on another TV.

   "They are operating outside and above the international law." I started towards Wanda's room.

  The voice got louder. Wanda you shouldn't watch this.

  It will just make you feel worse.

"Because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these..." I walked in and sat next to Wanda. She was staring at the TV.

" What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeri...?" The TV shut off.

I turned to look at Steve who was leaning against the doorway.

"It's my fault." Wanda said.

"That's not true." Me and Steve said at the same time.

"Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific."

   Sighing I pulled Wanda into a hug. She needs to learn that the only opinion that matters is her own.

    Because if something thinks your a monster and you believe them... Well you are.

But if you don't believe them... You're still yourself.

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it." Steve walked in. "Rumlow said 'Bucky' and all of a sudden I was a sixteen year old kid again, in Brooklyn." He sat on the bed. "And people died."

He paused. "It's on me."

Wanda turned her head to look at him. "It's on both of us."

"This job," Steve seemed to be thinking his words over carefully. "We try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody."

   Amen to that.

  "But if we can't find a way to live with that, then next time...maybe nobody gets saved."

He's right. If I hadn't...adjusted to Bianca's death and Zoë's and everyone else's during the first war...

We would be dead.

Vision phased through a wall. Again?

Seriously?

"Vis! We talked about this." Wanda said calmly.