Chapter 21

Ethan's POV

"Mae! Come back!" I shouted after her, she was already in her car and driving off at full speed.

"MAE!" I screamed, another truck rounded the corner and Mae's car crashed into the bypassing, her car was flying over the top of the other and it crashed straight on it's back.

"MAE!" I screamed again, I rushed up to the car and peaked the through the shattered windows. I could see Mae's body sitting upside down, he hair dangling from her head and blood running down her face.

"HELP! SOMEBODY HELP!" I screamed, I reached for Mae and dragged her out of the car. Oh my lord...I thought, her body was in terrible condition, it was covered in glass shards and blood. I held back tears as I stared down at her. I looked up to see Mark, Tyler, Amy and Kathryn running towards me and the lifeless Mae.

"Mae?" Mark whispered, he knelt down beside me and her and ran his fingers along her face. Mark looked to me and bit his lip, I could feel tears streaming down my eyes.

"I'm calling an ambulance." Tyler pulled out his phone and was about to dial 911.

"Hello, nine-one-one. What's your emergency?" I heard a female voice say, Tyler bit his lip and looked to Mae.

"We have a woman here who was just in a car accident, she's in terrible condition and needs help immediately." Tyler said blankly, I wiped away some of my tears and stroked Mae's blood stained hair. Please be okay...

"Okay, we're sending an ambulance over. Please stay online until they get there." Tyler didn't move. I looked up to see Amy covering her mouth crying and Kathryn looking away while holding her. I could hear the ambulance sirens getting closer, they rounded the corner and stopped right next to Mae's smashed car. They rushed over to us and pried her body out of my arms, I tried to take her back but Mark was holding me down. They loaded her inside the ambulance and Tyler headed inside as well.

"I'll head to the hospital with her. See you guys there." Tyler shut the two big doors and the car drove off. Tears were streaming from my face now, Mae was gone, She'll be okay Eth. She always is. Mark's words flowed through my mind, and the tiniest bit of hope sparked inside me. She always is...I thought.

___

I sat in the back seat staring out the window beside Kathryn. I was afraid to lose Mae, I was afraid that she would forget me, I was afraid she would forget us. I shook my head and wiped away more tears.

"Ethan, it'll be okay. Mae always pulls through this kind of stuff." Kathryn assured, I ran my fingers through my hair and sniffled.

"You tell that to the jerk who hit her." I grumbled, Mark tossed me an upset look from the front seat.

"Eth. Don't blame it on that guy, I mean you can't get revenge on him anyway. That poor guy is long gone." Mark mumbled, I wiped away for falling tears and stared deeper out the window. I could see the hospital coming into view, we pulled into the parking lot and scrambled out of the truck. I took in a shaky shallow breath and followed the others inside. I spotted Tyler and I ran up to his side.

"Where is hell she?" I asked quickly, my voice was cracking. Tyler pointed to the room in front of him and lead me in. I looked to see Mae laying in the hospital bed, her bright green eyes shut tightly and her blonde hair stain red from the blood, her breaths were long, shallow and almost silent. I slowly walked to her side and took her blood stained hand, I made little circles on the back of her hand with my thumb, tears were falling from my eyes again. I blinked them back and sniffled.

"We'll leave you two alone." Amy whispered, I nodded and mouthed 'thank you' to her. She nodded as a response and took the others out of the room. I pulled a chair up next to the bed and kept holding her hand.