22\\Carpark Realisations

Phoebe

10 YEARS AGO

Everything in Phoebe's world was spinning. Her "father" had just left them in the middle of the night, Eden's brother was in the hospital because of a bad accident plus Krissy and Phoebe had to be with Eden all the time. Missing school most days because Eden wanted to be beside her brother at the hospital.

The morning of the accident, Eden had given the girls the day off school and while they were getting ready, Eden hurried them up because she wanted to get to the hospital as soon as she could. Eden had always been close to her brother more than her sisters so her brother being in an accident has torn her in two.

"Mum, I don't want to go to the hospital, all Phoebe and I do is sit there, bored out of our minds. Can't grandma take us to get ice cream or something?" Krissy complained to Eden as she was frantically getting her handbag and keys.

"No, Krissy, you're both coming with me and aren't going to do my bloody head in with your complaining!"

Phoebe and Krissy both groaned as they marched to the car, not wanting to anger their mum anymore. They were buckled in when Eden locked the house and walked towards the car before hopping in. She didn't say a word to her daughters, instead she started the car and drove as fast as she could (within the speed limit) to the hospital.

Eden dashed out of the car, (making sure her kids were following her) as she rushed inside, meeting with her mum and her other siblings in the waiting room. She hugged all of them, giving them kisses and a few tears fell down her cheek. Phoebe and Krissy were waiting beside each other, watching everyone greet their mum.

"Hello my beautiful babies," their grandma greeted them. She gave them both a hug before she smiled, leaning in to whisper in their ears. "How's about we go somewhere away from here?"

"Mum won't let us," Krissy told her, kicking her feet on the ground with her hands behind her back. Phoebe nodded along, looking down at her feet also.

"Well, what she doesn't know won't hurt her," their grandma smiled before she grabbed their hands and taking them out of the hospital.

Phoebe and Krissy ended up getting their ice cream they wanted, they even went to the mall and chose a new dress each.

PRESENT

It was like my entire life flashed before my eyes in that very moment.

Everything happened so fast and it almost made me pass out from stress and worry. I couldn't quite remember much before it happened but it seemed to happen because of something to do with Harry. The waiting room isn't that great to look at, the wallpaper is so bland with an ugly yellow colour and the magazines are all out of date by a few months.

I was all alone, blood still on my hands from when I tried to be helpful. I haven't moved since I was told to sit here and wait for any news about him. He seemed so genuinely happy before his life got ripped apart by that one moment. I remember his face when I looked down to see why he wasn't standing and I swear I almost gave up myself.

I put my head in my hands in frustration because I was being unhelpful at the moment. There wasn't much I could do and it made me frustrated. Frustrated because I keep blaming myself for this happening. It was my fault we were at the lake at that point in time, my fault that I didn't just ask him who that girl was instead I made big deal about it, my fault that he's fighting for his life while I'm out here, waiting for news about him.

There was a stray tear that fell out of my eyes and I wiped it away, sniffing gently. I couldn't get over that it was mostly my fault that he's in hospital with wires and shit connected to him. Why wasn't I in the way? Why wasn't I the one who got hit? And best of all, why did they target Harry? He hadn't done anything wrong in that moment, was he just an easy target at the time?