29\\Shed Talks

Phoebe

1 YEAR AGO

"I'm glad you could make it to our family dinner, Phoebe," Brooke's mum said to her as everyone agreed with her. Brooke's family had invited Phoebe over to have dinner with her mum, dad, brother and Brooke herself. Phoebe, of course, accepted because Brooke's mum always treats her like her own daughter.

"Same here, thank you for having me," Phoebe said back as they all smiled at her. "These all look delicious, Mrs. Levine, you're such a great cook."

"Oh, stop it, Pheebs," Brooke's mum said as she turned a bright blushing pink. "I know you're only buttering me up so we have dessert."

Phoebe winked at her while laughing. "I love desserts that you make, they're the best – even better than buying a cheesecake or a crumble from the store. I would pick your cooking over my own, any day."

Brooke's dad and her brother both laughed loudly as they all dug into dinner. It was quiet around the table while everyone was eating. The only sound that was heard was the little groans of pure bliss at how amazing Brooke's mum's cooking seemed to be. Lately, Phoebe had been getting invited to so many things with Brooke's family which she loved. She wanted to have someone to be there for her and that was Brooke and her family.

They had been to the movies together, the mall, out to dinner and whatever else you can think of. Phoebe was just glad to have more than just one single parent – even though Brooke's family isn't flesh and blood, it feels like they are and that's all that Phoebe needs to keep pushing through her life.

"I love you guys," she said as she finished her mouthful, everyone's smiles lighting up.

"We love you too, Pheebs," they said back as everyone laughed, enjoying the dinner and enjoying the moment together.

PRESENT

PREVIOUSLY;

Ellie's mother nodded, eating some of her dinner all the more while Ellie was smirking at Gemma and me. "I've heard of Leon Tipsill, very great designer," she said as I thanked her before she smiled. "So, the million dollar question that I'm pretty sure everyone in this room wants to know is, are you and Harry an item?"

The entire room fell silent.

I almost choked on my dinner. I started coughing as Gemma patted my back, sending daggers at Ellie's mother. "Um, what has that got to do with you, Beth?" Beth, that's her name. I never quite caught it before. "I didn't know you were involved in Harry and Phoebe's love life."

"I just wondered that's all. They seemed very lovey-dovey earlier so I asked the question no one else would ask."

"Rein it in, Beth. Stop sticking your nose where it's not wanted," Gemma shot back while I took a few moments to catch my breath back. Gemma was rubbing my back now, helping me regain my breath. Gemma turned to look at Ellie before she looked at her back with a confused look. "Same goes for you, Ellie. It's none of your stupid families business what my brother or Phoebe does in their spare time. I didn't know it was a four-way relationship."

The entire room fell silent while Gemma's comment stayed in the minds of everyone. I put my cutlery down, pushing my chair from the table as I stood up. "Excuse me," I announced as Anne nodded, sending a sympathetic smile in my direction. I put my napkin down by my plate as I walked out of the dining room and towards the back door. I needed air badly. I got out by the fence where Harry and I were earlier as the rain fell, wetting my clothes like before.