42\\Christmas Shopping

Phoebe

Seven days until Christmas.
Four days until Brooke's wedding.

Christmas was nearing rapidly and I couldn't wait to get it over and done with. Brooke's wedding was also in a few days and she was rapidly growing gray hairs worrying about it, but we don't tell her that. Marilee has been helping me with figuring out about the hen's night but I still have no idea what to do. I never thought being a maid of honor had so many responsibilities within it.

But Christmas is a whole different story. I had nothing brought for anyone and I don't even know what I'm doing for Christmas. My dad's probably going to be way too busy for me and Brooke and Marilee will be spending it with their loved ones. I honestly thought about just having Christmas by myself and that's probably what's going to happen anyways.

I had to go shopping later today for some Christmas food for myself since I knew that I was going to be alone this Christmas and I didn't mind that, I've got Netflix and that's all I need for Christmas day. This morning had been a lazy morning, Louis told me that I could have the day off since he overheard me talking a few days ago that I needed to go Christmas shopping and I think the added stress of the wedding didn't help either.

Right now, Marilee and I were sitting in my living room, our brains working on overdrive to think of something to do for the hen's night. I had no ideas and neither did Marilee. We were both blank of ideas and I couldn't help but think if we didn't get a good idea soon, we're not going to have a hen's night at all.

"Um, goddammit, why can't I think of any ideas? I've been to a few hen's nights but they were shit, I don't want you to throw a shit hen's night for her, she deserves the very best," Marilee said which made me agree with her. I didn't want her to remember her hen's night being shit, I want her to remember it because it's hard to forget.

The silence that filled the room was anything but uncomfortable. Marilee and I had been working on this for over three hours, only stopping for toilet breaks and to get ourselves something to eat and drink, but other than that, it's been think, think, think. The thinking was really starting to put its toll on me and I couldn't believe how much I needed to think about this.

"Okay here's an idea," I started which made Marilee's attention fall upon me. "What about if we have it here but instead of just having Netflix and whatever, I'll ask if we can have the rooftop for a hen's night? And we can hire a DJ and a few other bits. The rooftop overlooks the entire city, apparently. I can rent it out for the night, I'll just ask the building owner."

Marilee squealed loudly, hugging me gently. "That sounds like a great idea! I can get the food and drinks, along with the entertainment and the ride here from Brooke's place. She'll love it, I promise," she said whilst grabbing her notebook, phone and drink before walking into my room to make some calls.

I had to make one myself.

I went through my contacts when I grabbed my phone, knowing the name of the building owner who gave me his number for safe keeping in case I needed something fixed. I dialed it, putting it towards my ear before hearing the ringing sound. It wasn't long before he picked it up. "Hello, Mr. Nelson here, who might this be?"

"Hello Mr. Nelson, it's Phoebe Evans from your apartment complex."

"Ah, yes, Phoebe Evans, how nice to hear from you. Is there something that needs to be fixed?" He asked but I knew my objective and I wanted to ask him straight up. Even if was going to cost a bit of money to rent it out, it was worth it for Brooke. I sighed before getting up from the couch and walking over to my window, overlooking the rest of the city – what you could see anyway.