23\\Three's A Crowd

Phoebe

5 YEARS AGO

Phoebe met up with Kaitlin when class had finished. They were going to eat their lunch under some trees in the shade since it was nearing the summer and the atmosphere loomed with hot air. It had felt like summer arrived already but it was still a few months away. Kaitlin was super into a guy who was in her class by the name of Derek (who seemed to catch everyone's eye).

"So I said to Keira that Derek was being a little bit flirty in class, sending notes to me all the time. Most of them were saying how cute I looked today and how beautiful I am. He got caught and that's why he's in detention now, he's the cutest. I wish he would just ask me out, Kaitlin rambled on while Phoebe was acting like she was listening when in reality she wasn't.

"How nice," Phoebe said, her fork coming into contact with her salad forcefully. Kaitlin gave her a glare as she continued to eat her salad sandwich. "I still don't like him."

"Who cares what you think though? If I cared about what other people thought, I wouldn't be as confident as I am now."

"Whoa, calm down, Kaitlin. I'm allowed to state my opinion, it's a free country."

"Whatever Phoebe, you're always trying to make me forget about guys. Just because you're so into your studies and don't like to have fun doesn't mean I have to be the same," she shot back, Phoebe's anger only being fuelled even more.

"You know what Kaitlin? I'm sick and tired of you thinking I'm some sort of nerd. I'm not even that, alright? I went to that party with you a few weeks ago, I got drunk and I almost got myself raped but you know why I didn't tell you? Because you judge everything and everyone you meet. I'm surprised you didn't judge me for wanting to finish school and not be pregnant at age seventeen like most people," Phoebe told her as she got up, Kaitlin's mouth agape, still in shock about what Phoebe had said.

"Phoebe–"

"Save it, go waste your time on Derek if you think he's some kind of saint, my opinion doesn't matter anymore," Phoebe cut her off as she tried to walk away, Kaitlin trying to stop her but she stopped in her tracks. "I hope you understand why I wanted you to stay away from him in the future. Also, I don't want you to come to me a few weeks later trying to cry on my shoulder. That ship has sailed."

Phoebe stormed off, leaving Kaitlin to ponder on what Phoebe had just said.

PRESENT

Niall was waiting on the couch with a beer and some popcorn watching some football game that was on replay. It was nearing two in the morning after I got out of my bubble bath, my soft and woolly robe wrapped around me as I walked into the living room, walking behind the couch and into the kitchen, wanting to make myself a cup of hot chocolate.

The jug was hot already as I got my mug ready and poured the hot water into my mug as I stirred it, putting the spoon in the sink. I grabbed my mug and walked back into the living room, Niall's munching and the commentating on the game were the only noises in my apartment. I sat down next to him as he stared in my direction, my mug laced between my fingertips.

Niall grabbed the remote and pressed the mute button as he turned to face me with his popcorn sitting between his legs along with his beer in his hand. I didn't turn to face him as I blew on my hot chocolate before taking the smallest sip, feeling the liquid run down my throat. "So," he mumbled with popcorn in his mouth, swallowing his contents before clearing his throat. "Are we not going to address Gemma's phone call at all? And who is "Gemma" anyway? You know her?"