Chapter 3

Author Note

Hey thanks for reading! Be sure to leave a comment and a vote if you enjoy the chapter. The more feedback I get on the story the faster I will update.

Small knocking on the door awakens me slowly. I yawn and stretch, as the door swings open. My mother pops in quickly with a plate and a cup, placing it on the tiny wooden table in the room. She hurries back to the door to lock it before turning around to address me.

"Eat child. I'm sorry I couldn't feed you last night. This was all I could get from the kitchen without raising suspicion. It's your favorite sweet bread with peaches and cream."

"Did he ask about me?"

"Winnie we are not talking about that man."

"I need to pee, can you let me out to use the bathroom at least."

"There is a chamber pot underneath the bed. Use it."

"It is quite barbaric to use it, when I can just use the wolf bathroom. I'm allowed."

"Yes well Winnie you are a slave. It's time you start acting like one, so pee in the pot. Please don't argue with me about it."

"Where am I to wash?"

"I will bring you a basin of water. My soap is on the nightstand. Use my cleaning cloth."

"I need my shoes mother it is chilly in here."

"I have a spare pair underneath the bed. There are a little tattered, but still wearable. I'll be back."

She leaves the room hastily, washing basin in hand. Wrapped in the flimsy, itchy, blanket I move the stool from near the window to the small table to eat. Saying good morning silently to my parents in my head like I do every morning I begin to eat with my fingers.

Where are the utensils?

After a small breakfast I gulp down my water then search for the chamber pot to relieve myself in.

This is humiliating.

After throwing the fluids out the window I lay back down on the bed. Staring up at the ceiling wondering what to do now.

I can't live like this. I miss my room, my clothes, books, bed, and private bathroom. My back aches. I'm cold. This is horrible.

Loud knocking, soon lifts my spirits.

Could it be?

Getting up out of bed I stumble a bit before recovering. I flatten down my untamed hair, wiping non-existent dirt off my now wrinkled dress from the day before. I sniff myself quickly unhappy with the mix of scents that permeate from me. They unlock the door slowly before turning the knob and opening the bedroom door. Peeking around the door where the person was hidden from view I see....

"Zachary?"

He is holding a basin of water trying hard for it not to spill.

"Can I come in? This is heavy."

"Uhhhh I don't think that is a good idea."

"Your mother told me to deliver this. It was too heavy for her anyway."

"Have you been following me?"

He smiles at me before laughing coming more into the room. The door shuts behind him. Setting the bowl on the table he turns to me still grinning.

"You don't trust very easily do you Winnie?"

I shrug my shoulders taking in his appearance, a long tear in his dirty white shirt. His pants a simple cotton black. Running his fingers through his short auburn hair he continues to smile at me. A red stain on his shirt catches my attention as he moves back and forth on the balls of his feet.

"You should leave."

"I have an extra blanket if you need it. It's quite chilly in here."

"How did you acquire an extra blanket?"

"Traded some apples I picked."

"That isn't allowed. Only farmers are allowed to pick."

"Like I told you before I'm not one for following rules. So you are a house slave?"

"I prefer to use the term maid, but yes I work inside."

"So what were you doing picking apples, if you aren't a farmer Winnie."

"Master always lets me. I've been picking fruits for fun and baking them in delicious treats every since I was a little girl. Mother taught me to cook."

"Just how long have you been here?"

"Since I was a baby."

"You were sold as a child.  Who was coldhearted enough to do that?"

"I was abandoned in the forest surrounding the castle. Master discovered me in the dead of winter, under a Holly bush"

"You never met your real parents?"

I sniff a bit, feeling myself become emotional, tears wanting to form.

"You should leave."

"Do you still need that blanket?"

"I said go!"

"Okay, I'm sorry Winnie. I didn't mean to upset you."

He turns around to leave and I see the red stain increasing in size.

"Wait, Zachary. I think you are bleeding."

"What?"

Twisting his body he peers at the back of his shirt, frowning slightly.

"It is nothing Winnie. I was whipped yesterday. I guess I didn't patch myself up too well."

"Why didn't you visit the pack doctor?"

"I can take a beating Winnie, besides he would have told me to rest for a day. I want to buy back my freedom as soon as possible. I can't miss a day of work.

"Take off your shirt and sit on the stool."

"You want me to...."

His face reddens slightly as he complies silently. I watch him pull off his shirt slowly wincing in pain as his arms go up. I can't help, but bite my lip nervously as my eyes trail from his broad chest to his defined abdomen. Sitting on the stool he waits patiently for me to say something.

He isn't as muscular as master, but he is still very strong. Physically and mentally...

"I'm going to sew you up and put healing ointment on it.  I also want to fix your shirt if you'll let me."

I move closer to him, observing the wounds close up. With his shirt in hand he looks up at me.

"I trust you."

"Why were you beaten?"

Was it because of me?