Chapter 16

Author's Note

So on Saturday I noticed this story was ranked!! It only lasted for 24 hours, but I'm still super happy. It motivates me to put more chapters out and it really gets my creativity flowing. Anyways please add my story to your reading lists, vote, and comment. It would be much appreciated. Love you guys!

Xael: "I hate that you cry so easily over everything."

Even through my cries I can hear Xael moving around the room. Kneeling in front of me he holds me tight letting me cry into his shirt.

Xael: "I can't remember a time when you didn't cry from being overwhelmed or sad. You wear your heart on your sleeve."

Drying my eyes with the sleeves of Xael's shirt I stare up at him. Looking down at me he smiles before kissing my forehead and helping me up off of the floor.

"What if your pack doesn't accept me? What if I can't give you an heir? What if...."

Xael: "Shhhhh."

Placing his index finger on my lips he halts my ramblings.

Xael: "Have a little faith. As long as we have each other who cares about what is it come."

"Lunch is served."

Turning around I notice my mother has entered the room again, carrying one tray with Gabriel behind her carrying another.

Xael: "Don't you remember how to knock? You ruined the moment."

Annabelle: "What moment? Still trying to get Winnie into your bed Xael?"

Before Xael can reply Gabriel speaks up.

Gabriel: "How are you feeling today Sir?"

Xael: "I'm cranky, but still alive thanks to you. I owe you my life. I will talk to you about a pay raise later."

Gabriel smiles brightly before placing his tray down on the rosewood table, in the middle of the room. Removing the gold cloche I can see from afar he brought Xael his favorite meal, Black Bear. Walking over to where mother has arranged my plate and utensils I sit down. Once my cover is removed I begin to eat. Finding my appetite back at full force, I shovel my mouth full of greens moaning in delight with every swallow.

Xael: "Slow down princess. I do not understand how you can be so satisfied by eating the food meant for farm animals."

"I do not insult your food choices so don't insult mine."

Xael: "You are dismissed Gabriel. Continue to lead for me and tell the pack I am still feeling under the weather. I need you to keep Winnie and I being mates a secret. I also want you to find a trainer for her that specializes in hand-to-hand combat."

Gabriel: "Your secrets are safe with me Alpha. Do you want me to hire the trainer myself or would you like me to pick them out and you choose who you want?"

Xael: "I want to choose. I have no preference with what gender they are as long as the male is mated and so is the female. That way I do not have to worry about being hit on and same with Winnie. Now leave us be."

Gabriel bows his head slightly before exiting out of the room, shutting the door behind him.

Xael: "You can leave now too. There is no need for you. Winnie is a big girl, she can take care of herself. Don't you have plates to clean or clean clothes to fold?"

"Xael stop it."

Xael: "I made her head maid for a reason. She needs to go do her job or I will withhold her wages for the week."

"You are unbelievable."

Annabelle: "It is okay dear. I will be back later, maybe to bring you a silver necklace."

Xael stops eating his food to glare at mother. He growls a little under his breath, gripping his knife tightly. Positioning my hand over top of his I gently guide him to release his knife. Giving a small wave to mother as she leaves Xael's chambers, slamming the door behind her. I wait a couple of minutes just to be sure she has left for good before continuing eating. 

Xael: "I wasn't going to stab her, just scare her a little."

"Sure."

We continue to eat in silence, but I can sense Xael watching me, every so often. Finishing my food I wipe my mouth with a napkin before making my way back to bed. Lying on my back in a cocoon of blankets and pillows I close my eyes, drifting back asleep. I wake up later to find myself on top of a snoring Xael. Giggling at how peaceful he looks I go to move off of him with ease. For once I am not wrapped up in his arms as I roll away from his large body. He stirs a bit, but does not wake, turning over onto his stomach.

He is such a wild sleeper.

Crawling out of bed I wander to the windows. Trying not to trip over the head of the bear on his skinned bear rug I pull open the curtains. The moon illuminates the pitch-dark bedroom as I hum a little song sung to me during my childhood. My hand slowly travels to my locket as I kiss it softly. I close my eyes, swaying back and forth with the bright moonlight hitting my skin. Suddenly a vibration is felt in my hand as my eyes shoot open. I peer down to see the necklace is glowing and not only that it is vibrating, softly emitting a tiny ringing sound, mimicking my song.

"Xael!"