Chapter 17

Author's Note

Wow I can't believe I've made it to chapter 17. The amount of positive feedback on this story has me beaming everyday. Add my book, comment and vote. I'm thinking about have some mature chapters in the future, but it depends on the readers age range. Happy reading guys!

Xael: "What is it princess?"

He mumbles into the pillows still not moving from his position on the bed.

"Xael the necklace its..."

Xael: "Win you're having a bad dream, go back to sleep."

"Come here the necklace is doing weird magic."

Xael: "Get back in the bed my love, you are having one of your nightmares."

"Xael please get up."

I continue to stare at the bed waiting to see any movements from Xael. Finally he sits up. Stretching his arms he gets out of bed, but still is drowsy. Slowly making his way towards me I notice his silky black hair is in his face. Meeting him halfway I rake my fingers through his hair, attempting to move the stray hairs out of his face.

"Xael open your eyes, you have to wake up."

Yawning loudly his eyes open, glancing down at my neck before chuckling softly.

Xael: "My sweet little Winnie there is nothing wrong with your necklace. It is not doing anything special, but gleaming due to how the moonlight hits it. "

Confusion on my face I look down at it again to see he is right.

"Xael it was ringing and glowing and..."

Pressing his finger on my lips he silences me. Dropping that finger he bends down kissing me softly on the lips before throwing me over his shoulder.

"Xael put me down I'm not crazy."

Beating on his hard bare back with my fists he continues to walk the bed. Giving up on struggling I wait for him to release me back to the ground.

"Put me down now!"

He drops me on a mountain of furs and pillows.

"You aren't listening Xael."

Still silent I follow Xael's gaze as it trails down my body. Tugging down on his shirt I bite my lip nervously.

Xael: "You look so beautiful under moonlight Win."

The bed sinks in as he lies down beside me. Wasting no time he kisses me again. Opening my mouth to protest only for his tongue to slip in.

"Mmmm."

I slap Xael, making him break the kiss. Not bothered by the slap, he attacks my neck with his kisses, sucking intensely.

"Xael."

The only word my mind can think to say as he continues what he is doing, this time unbuttoning the top buttons of his shirt I am wearing to reveal more skin.

Xael: "Yes Winnie."

He says finally slowing down, but still ignoring my demands to stop.

"This is unladylike. It's improper. We aren't married. You are not courting me."

He halts his movements, finally making eye contact with me again.

Xael: "Marriage is a human custom. Being mates is the same as being married. You want me, I can smell it."

Xael leans back in to resume what he was doing when I stop him with my words.

"I....I want a ring!"

Xael: "What for?"

"I'm honoring your customs now you honor mine. No more touching until you propose. I will sleep on the floor if I have too."

Sighing in frustration Xael moves away from me. Finding a spot towards the edge of the bed he pulls a fur blanket over top of himself before resting his head on a pillow.

Xael: "Good night Winnie, sleep on the floor if you must."

"Huh?"

Perplexed on his reaction to my request I lay on the opposite end of the bed, for once not crying to sleep, but still utterly upset.

When morning finally comes I awake to find myself alone on the center of the bed.

"You will not cry Winnie. You will not cry."

There is knocking on the door before it opens to reveal my mother with food in her hands. I wait for her to set the tray down before scrambling off the bed. I run to her, not able to hold my tears back any longer.

Annabelle: "What happened child, what has he done?"

"I think we had a fight. I'm not sure. I told him I wanted a ring to signify marriage before we seal our bond."

Annabelle: "Me and Xael have had our differences over the years with anything pertaining to you, but you need to know, you are the only relationship he has ever been in. He is just as inexperienced as you when it comes to love. And I shouldn't be telling you this, but early this morning he asked me where is the best place to ask for a woman's hand in marriage."

"He did."

I say wiping my eyes and runny nose with my sleeve."

Annabelle: "Yes he did."

"Where is he now?"

Annabelle: "He was pulled into a meeting by Gabriel. It must have been important because Gabriel couldn't cover for him anymore. Now dry your eyes, eat your breakfast and go back to your room to get dressed. If he does propose today, you can't be looking like a blubbering mess."

I nod enthusiastically practically skipping to the table to eat my breakfast. With almost the last bite of my food consumed I begin to hear loud trumpets playing.

"It can't be."

Running to the window I pull back the curtains to see in the distance multiple carriages coming down the dirt path of the front entrance.

Royalty has arrived.