Chapter 23

My eyes shoot open. The harsh light of the sun forces me to close them again. Blinking rapidly I slowly adjust my eyes to the light, not certain if I'm in the past or present time. I glance around trying to figure out how I ended up in the healer's wing of the castle.

I cannot remember where I was. All I can remember is Xael doubting the necklace's power then me wanting to know more about it then darkness. It's as if the necklace gave me what I wanted most at that moment, but at what cost? "

The morning sun forms a shimmer that catches my eye. My eyes follow the light to my hands, where I find the source of the twinkle.

A ring.

It is gold with leaves and branches interweaving around it. In the center is a sparkly gem that creates a rainbow effect across the blankets. The gem is colorless, and large in size. Still observing the ring, a portion of my hair falls in front of my face.

Brown?

I continue to stare at pieces of my hair, inspecting the new texture.

What happened to my golden colored hair? How long have I been asleep? It felt so real....It was real. I was watching a memory or at least I think it was a memory. It couldn't have been a dream.

Throwing the covers off of my body I notice that I am wearing a simple white nightgown made of the finest silk. Looking at the wilted sunflowers by my bedside I stroke the crumbly petals in sadness before swinging my legs over to the edge of the bed. Stepping down cautiously, my bare feet on the stone floor sends shivers down my spine.

I feel weak. Exhausted. I've never felt this way before.

Going into the bathroom I immediately see a woman resembling me in the mirror. Face pale almost sullen I can't believe I am seeing myself.

Is that me?

Not only is my hair now a rich deep brown, but it is longer, shinier than usual. My lips are pouter, pinker.

My eyes.

Once a bright blue now a sea foam green.

There is rapping on door before I hear the creaking of it opening.

"Xael!"

Rushing out of the bathroom I stop dead in my tracks when I see...

"Zachary?"

Zachary: "Winnie is that you?"

I nod my head slowly baffled on why he is here and not Xael.

"You shouldn't be here."

Zachary: "I was worried about you. There are rumors going around in the castle about how ....well how you punched Lillian and as punishment he gave you a whipping so rough that it put you in here."

"How long have I been here?"

Zachary: "A few weeks.

"Weeks!"

My heart pounds faster as my vision starts to distort. Holding on to the doorframe to steady myself, I walk fast to my bed before the need to pass out arises again.

"I need water. Why are you here? I need Xael. Where is Xael?"

Zachary: "Your mother made him leave to wash up and eat. Today was the first day he left this room, since you were placed here. I just wanted to see if you were all right. Your mother thought a familiar voice might wake you up."

"You shouldn't be here."

Zachary: "Is that all you have to say? I thought there was something more between us."

"There is nothing and to think anything more is asinine. My mother was mistaken asking you to come. Please leave. As you can see I am completely fine. No whip has touched my skin."

Zachary: "What happened to you? Even your voice has changed."

The door bangs open loudly and in an instant Zachary is lifted off the ground and slammed into the wall. He groans in agony.

"Xael!"

He turns his face to me, but does not stop his attack on Zachary. His eyes are completely black as he faces Zachary again continuing to squeeze his neck.

"Xael stop it! He is turning different colors!"

Running over to him I pull on his shirt trying to snap him out of his trance like state. Growling loudly he continues to squeeze. Tugging on his hair he pushes me to ground out of the way.

Xael!

Author's Note

First of all let me say sorry for the slow update. I've read the comments about updating sooner and wanting to know what days do I update. For now I am making Sunday my designated upload day. If I get an intense number of comments and votes on a chapter that is an incentive for me to release chapters earlier then intended. Also I just want to say how happy I am that this book ranked #788 on Tuesday and #744 on Wednesday. Granted those rankings only lasted 24 hours it still is heartwarming to see that people are enjoying my book. Lastly, I just wanted to say thank you for following the story this far and that I hope I don't disappoint you guys. Much love.

AM