Chapter 10

Winston: "What are you doing with her?"

Gabriel: "She needs to be with Xael!"

I hear the voices of Winston and Gabriel, but still my world remains dark. Not being able to see or speak causes me to panic even more than before.

Winston: "I do not understand, why isn't she awake? Why are you moving her?"

Gabriel: "She is Xael's mate. I need get her to Xael to restore the bond.

Winston: "That's impossible. Humans can't be soul mates to werewolves."

Gabriel: "I do no understand it either, but I have to do something to save our king."

Winston: "What if you are wrong? His feral side might kill her. If she dies there will be dire consequences."

Gabriel: " I won't let that happen. I have faith."

Winston: "I will go get Annabelle. She needs to know what is happening."

Gabriel: "Don't. She will just get in the way and I can't have her being killed on my conscience. Xael is in his wolf form right now. Keep this information to yourself doctor. No one must know what is going on. If anyone asks Xael is sick."

My surroundings go silent as I try to scream for help, but no words come out. Suddenly loud growling echoes in my head.

Gabriel: Xael it's me. I'm going to lay her gently on the bed."

The growling continues, as I still feel trapped inside my body. Moments later a coldness is felt on my cheek before a constant wetness is on my face. The wolf whimpers in my ear, as my friend darkness consumes me.

"You have to go Winnie. All the other maids are going into town for the fall festival. Don't you want to be liked, meet boys and just have fun?"

" I don't know Lucy. If mother or master finds out I've left the grounds I will never be allowed to go outside again."

Lucy: "You are 16 for goodness sakes live a little."

"Okay I'll do it. I just need to distract master. Where should I meet you?"

Lucy: "Tomorrow at noon a group of maids are going into town. You need to wear your shawl that covers your hair and wear normal servant clothes. You do have normal clothes right?"

"Yes.... Well no, but I have simple cotton blue dress."

Lucy: "That will have to do. I need to get back to work see you later."

I watch as the only slave my age that will talk to me leaves the library hastily. Standing up from the bearskin covered chair I walk slowly out of the room making my way to the kitchen to collect master's lunch. The busyness in the kitchen stops as I enter. Grabbing the tray left out for me, I pick it up. Once I am in front of his door there are two guards, keeping watch, so that Master isn't disturb. They don't engage me in conversation just open the door for me, slamming it shut once I am inside. Hunched over his desk he continues to write, engrossed in his papers. Setting the food down on an empty spot on the desk I pick up a weird looking trinket, studying it with curiosity.

Xael: "You're late."

"Sorry Xael."

He lays down his pen. Leaning back in his chair to watch me.