Chapter 26

Xael: "I was hoping you wouldn't notice it."

"How could I not?"

Xael: "At first I didn't see it, but little by little your appearance started to change, as the cracks became more apparent. I must say I will miss your golden hair, but hair the color of mahogany is just as beautiful.

"I don't look human any more."

Xael: "This is true, you are more angelic."

"The necklace must have had some sort of cloaking protection. This is my true form. Do you still find me ... attractive?"

Xael: " Winnie my lust for you is never-ending."

He whispers into my ear causing a flushness to appear upon my cheeks. I giggle as I watch his seductive smirk be replaced with a small smile. He opens his mouth to speak only to be interrupted by rapid knocking before the door swings open.

Xael: "Who dares enter my chambers without invitation!"

Unwrapping his arms from around me, he stands up in a defensive position. We both look towards the door to see Gabriel standing there shirtless with his black pants in tatters.

Gabriel: "There here sir! The elementals. What should we do?"

I sit up gathering the furs to cover myself for modesty. Confused on what is happening I glance back and forth between the two wolves.

Xael: "Where are they on the land?"

Gabriel: "Front gate. I have ten of our best fighters holding them back, but they are strong."

Xael: "Tell everyone to leave and meet in the mountains.  It is the safest castle we have. Order people to take only items that cannot be replaced along with resources needed for survival. I have a feeling this place won't be standing for much longer when they attack with full strength."

Gabriel: "What of the slaves?"

Xael looks to me before replying to Gabriel. Sadness washes over his face.

Xael: "Any slave that helps a pack member and makes it to the mountains with them and doesn't run off will be given an increase in pay and a chance to have their debt forgiven and freedom papers signed personally by me. Now sound the alarms."

Gabriel nods before rushing out of the room.

Xael: "Winnie get up! We need to leave!"

"Xael we can't leave. This is our home! You said that you didn't want war with them."

Xael: " A lot has changed since you were in that deep sleep.  They have hit more of our territories. Blood has been shed. I can't lose you again."

I watch as Xael frantically moves around the room. Going straight for his large wardrobe he pulls out a big satchel, which he swings over his shoulder to carry. Still in shock I stare at him, trying to figure out why this is happening.

Xael: "Princess you need to get up and get your shoes on. They're in your room, but first slip these trousers on.

Throwing me a pair of men's pants I slip them on over my nightgown. They loosely fit as I roll up the pants legs, to prevent me from tripping. Ripping part of the bottom of my nightgown I use the strip of silk to make a belt to hold the pants up as I tuck the rest of the sleeping attire into the pants.

"You have to find mother. She has to come with us."

Xael: "Go get your shoes on. The sturdy ones made for horseback."

Running into my room I quickly put on my shoes, almost falling in the process. Grabbing my favorite cloak I tie it around my shoulders, leaving the hood off. Entering Xael's room again he is standing anxiously in the center of the room.

Xael: "Are you ready?"

"What about my mother?"

Xael: "She will only slow us down."

"You bastard! That is my mother you are talking about."

Xael: "This isn't up for discussion Winnie!"

A loud boom is heard from afar as the castle starts to shake. I take a tumble to the ground as pieces of the ceiling fall in front of me. In a flash Xael picks me up off the floor and into his arms as he rushes out of the room.

"We can't leave her! Put me down!"

I bang my fists on his hard chest, squirming to be released. His grip on my body gets tighter with every step he takes.

Xael: "I promise you she will be fine. Gabriel is her keeper. He knows to look after her in case of an emergency. She will be at the new castle."

"Why are we fleeing! We need to fight!"

He slows down his running, when the second blast hits bringing down the entire ceiling in front of us. Screaming and yelling is heard all around as his breathing gets louder. Looking down at me his face remains neutral as dust clouds the air.

Xael: "Listen Winnie these creatures have powers. Unimaginable powers. They are strong. It is not that I am afraid to fight, but I am unprepared for war. We need to get to the mountains to talk with the council and my parents. They will know what to do. Also we can call upon other werewolf territories to help us defeat them. I need you to trust me."

"I trust you.

Xael: "Good because our exit has just become unavailable."