Chapter 29

Author's Note

First let me say thank-you for all the birthday wishes! Second I want to say sorry for the late update. I love you all and continue to leave comments and votes. Thanks!

A.M

I can't stop my heart from quickening as the sound of footsteps can still be heard around us as we continue to lay in silence. Time passes as it goes eerily quiet. Slowly Xael releases his hand from my mouth. Quickly wiping my tears away with my fingers he starts to whisper into my ear.

Xael: "Whatever happens next I just want you to run. Don't look back just keep running North. Use the stars for guidance. We will find each other again."

"Why do you say this?"

Xael: "I love you. "

Before I can speak again Xael quickly exits out of the tent shutting the flap back immediately. Scrambling to get up I hear nothing then my heart sinks.

"What do we have here boys?"

Slowly crawling to the entrance of the tent I lay down flat on my stomach peeking out of the bottom, careful not to be seen. A dumpy looking bald man stands in front of Xael along with five other men. You can tell by their attire they are some type of soldier. Each holding a different type of weapon, while they stare down Xael.

"Told you doubling back was the right thing to do. Where is the woman?"

Xael: "I am Xael Caius Orrin Alesandro, Alpha king of the werewolves. If you value your lives leave now!"

"That's fine who you are, but we really need the girl. Produce her, then we will let you be."

Xael: "Win run now!"

His bones crack as he transforms into his wolf quickly attacking the leader. Getting off the ground I open the tent, surprisingly not seen by the men fighting Xael. I try not to bring any attention to myself as I dash into the bramble of the forest.

"I saw her! She went that way!"

Loud growling can be heard as screams from the men grow more and more distant as I continue to run faster than I've ever run before. Growing more and more tired I keep pushing forward. Panicked I trip over a tree branch falling to my knees. I slowly get back up, trying not to cry, but to keep moving as it becomes harder to breath. The trees all start to look the same as I choose to rest by sitting underneath an abnormal sized oak tree. Calming myself down I stare up at the small portion of darkening sky peeking through the canopy of all the trees. Minutes later the sky releases a terrible storm.

"He will be okay. Won't he?"

Rain continues to fall harder and harder as I wrap my cloak tighter around my arms, before putting my hood up.

I need to go back. I left him.

Standing up I glance around, not sure of the direction I came.

I am so tired I can't think straight. It was this way.

With the first step I take a throbbing pain is felt at the bottom soles of my feet as I hobble in the direction I believe I came. I only walk a few paces before I notice I am at the exact same oak tree I got up from.

"No! This is all wrong."

Collapsing onto the wet muddy ground I cry harder than I've ever cried before. The thunder booms louder as I continue to wipe my eyes even though the rain continues to hit me. In the midst of my moping I hide my hands underneath my cloak to keep warm only to be poked by something. Looking down at my hands I notice the ring.

The ring. I forgot all about the engagement ring.

"Yes I will marry you Xael."

I whisper to myself. Kissing the ring I use the tree as leverage to stand up. Observing the different types of leaves on the trees I continue forward praying I am not going backwards or in a circle. Shivering from the cold in the distance I can see a small glow from something. Feeling a bit happy knowing I am no longer going in a circle I follow the glow till finally I discover where it is coming from.

The glow is coming from a light in that small cottage. How peculiar to live in a middle of a forest.

Hidden behind a bush I continue to survey the dimly lit home.

I should see if anyone is in there to help me. The rain is not letting up. I'm cold, in pain and could use some nourishment.

Finally making up my mind on what to do I walk slowly up the broken stoned path. Knocking gently on the wooden door I get no answer, as the door swings open. With no one on the other side of the door I debate whether to continue inside. The inviting heat and fragrant smell of food in the air deters me from leaving. Closing the door behind me I quickly remove my shoes not surprised by the bloody soles of my feet I am greeted with.

"Hello! Is anyone home? Do you by chance have bandages, I am bleeding pretty bad."

Still met with silence I leave my shoes at the door tiptoeing to where I smell the food coming from. Opening the door I am finally greeted with the owner of the home. With her back to me I can only make out some of her features, as she continues to stir a kettle filled with some sort of food above the open flames of the fireplace. She hums quietly to herself, still not acknowledging my existence in the room.

"Umm excuse me, I don't mean to come in unannounced, but it is storming pretty badly out there. I was wondering if you could help me. My name is Winnie."

"I know who you are dear."

She turns around and my mouth drops open in shock.

"Vegetable soup?"

"Keturah."

Are the last words I whisper before everything goes dark.