Chapter 45

"Do we actually kneel?" I whisper to Holly.

Holly:"No, we curtesy. The men kneel. Also, don't make eye contact with him it's a sign of defiance and disrespect."

Curtsying low I follow her lead as the crowd parts in fear of Xael. I can't help but peek at my handsome Xael through my uncomfortable mask. Without hesitation he swiftly walks towards his parents never looking down or even at his pack. Turning around, he faces all of us.

Xael:"Rise."

Everyone stands up as I take in his appearance. Anger soon boils up inside me.

"How can he look like that?" I whisper.

Holly:"Shhh."

Xael:"I want to thank everyone for attending this year's ball. Eat, drink, be merry."

Talking soon begins again as Xael turns his back to speak in private with his parents.

Holly:"That's our ice king."

She giggles as I continue to glare in his direction.

Holly:"Are you even listening to me? Why are you glaring?"

"Xael. He looks so.... so ..."

Holly:"So what ?"

"Attractive."

Holly:"Why is that a bad thing?"

"Do you see all the women here? They are practically drooling over him. And that shirt. Why did he wear that? It's open! And it's tight. Really tight. And his pants..."

Holly:"Pull yourself together Anna. He is yours. Only yours. Keep telling yourself that and go ask him for a dance before one of those harlots sink their claws into him."

Shoving me a bit I calm myself before slowly moving through the crowd of people. Xael, now standing by a table of food,  is surrounded by women.

They are caging him in, like animals.

Finally looking up, we lock eyes. His face masked with indifference before his eyes flicker black then back to their normal color. Speaking quietly to his admirers he begins his journey to my location at a slow pace. My heart beats faster as he is suddenly standing in front of me.

The whole pack is watching. Keep your cool in front of the high-class wolves.

Xael:"May I have this dance?"

Nodding shyly, he holds out his hand adorned with rings for me to take just as the music comes to a slow waltz. Hand on the middle of my back it slightly creeps down, lower and lower. Twirling us around he leans in to whisper in my ear.

Xael:"Did you really think I wouldn't recognize you?"

"I don't know what you mean your highness?"

Xael:"I can't believe you disobeyed me. Do I need to take you to my bedroom?"

"What gave me away?"

Xael:"Your eyes, little mouse. There is never a moment when I don't look at your mesmerizing eyes. They are forever in my mind."

"I should be the one who is mad."

Xael:"Do not change the issue. Who cut your beautiful hair?"

"Who dressed you for this ball?"

Xael:"We can play this game all night long, but you need to leave this palace. Go back to Gabriel's home."

"Do you always wear this type of attire around females all the time here? You are basically flirting with them."

Xael laughs roughly before twirling me once again.

Xael:"Your jealousy is so very amusing. My heart belongs to you. Always you."

"Have you told your father about us?"

Xael:"Where is this coming from? Your anger and assertiveness is both refreshing and alluring."

"I can't help how I feel. I need you. My mother needs us both."

Xael:"Thousands of wolves need me as well Win. I am doing the best that I can."

The music stops abruptly, and the lights go out. Pitch black in darkness screams come from every direction.

Xael:"Stay here, don't move. I will be back."

Letting go of my hand, I grab blindly to hold it once more.

"Don't leave me..."

The lights flash back on as a crowd has formed around a hooded figure in the center of the floor.

Author's Note

I love cliffhanger endings. Anyways the next chapter I post will be the end of book one. I will most definitely have a book two out , but I'm not sure yet when I will post it. Below are a list of readers who have stood out to me recently in their appreciation of my story, so I want to show them some love. Thanks everyone! Until next time.

@toffeecrunch 

@mylove4eva14

@Whats_in_a_name7

@varinia21

@user17075486

@OfTheMoonAndStars

@DerieshaMilton

@Ravenscrown23

@jazsjjj