Chapter 11

Author's Note

I wasn't going to release this chapter till tomorrow, but I saw an increase in reads so enjoy!

Panic spreads on the villagers faces as the music stops and everything goes quiet. Standing side-by-side to Matthew I see a werewolf for the first time. Bigger than I imagine it walks slowly into the festival, every couple of steps sniffing the ground as if looking for something. Staring at it in shock I notice that it is all black, reminding me of a midnight sky with no stars. As if knowing I am thinking about it our eyes meet. They are a stormy grey."

"Its eyes."

Matthew: "That is a male werewolf. It is too big to be female, but what about his eyes?"

"They remind me of my master's eyes. Dangerous, yet soothing."

The werewolf trots closer as Matthew pushes me behind him, shielding me from view. A foot away from us is the wolf, growling loudly, showing his teeth menacingly. Glancing around me villagers flee in fear, while others make no sudden movements.

Matthew: "Stay back you mongrel, this isn't your territory. We have a peace treaty in place."

The wolf growls louder, mouth foaming, spit dripping as he inches closer to us.

"Don't antagonize him. They can understand you. Move aside."

Matthew turns his head back to me quick in confusion before facing forward again. His attention still focused on the wolf.

Matthew: "Are you crazy? It could eat you. It is probably a rogue, looking for its next meal."

Rolling my eyes at Matthew's prejudice comments I push past him slowly creeping forward to the wolf. It stops its growling, sitting down calmly as if waiting for me to come near. Directly in front of him I reach out my hand to pet him.

"You are not dangerous right?"

Whimpering softly it licks my hand before standing up. Inches away from my face it licks me repeatedly, its large tail wagging in the process. I continue to rub the wolf as people gawk at us. Matthew moves to get closer only for the wolf to block his view of me, growling loudly again. This time when I look at the werewolf, not only are his teeth showing, but his mouth begins to froth again. Making a decision to lead the wolf out of the village I start walking back the way I came. Not looking back I hear the light sounds of the wolf's paws on the firm dirt path. The moment I see the castle in the distance the wolf stops in front of me, blocking my way home.

"What do you want with me?"

Running into the bushes I hear bones cracking as a man with tattered pants on appears out of the brush moments later.

"Xael."

I gasp at his appearance.

Xael: "You are in so much trouble Winnie. I'm trying to control my anger right now. I have a multitude of guards looking for you and your mother is a blubbering mess. What were you thinking? Going off grounds. Being reckless."

"Can I speak?"

Xael: "You will be punished Winnie. Tears will not sway my decision."

I cut off his lecture, still captivated by his transformation.

"You are the black wolf."

Xael: "Yes."

The howling in my ears breaks me from memories of the past as my vision comes back to me slowly. From blurriness to crispness I can finally see what is in front of me.

Xael

His body is in wolf form as he continues to look down at me on the bed. Trying to move the rest of my body I find that I am weak, but can reach out to pet the sadden wolf. Nudging my hand with his head he craves my touch. Next I attempt to speak. My word come out slowly, but clear.

"Xael. What.... Is... happening?"

Licking my face the wolf lies down beside me, whimpering loudly. Drifting off to sleep I can't help, but wonder when will the pain end.

Author's Note

Short chapter I know, but I like to leave cliffhangers.