Chapter 27

My eyes follow all around trying to figure out where we are through all the dust and debris.

"I know where we are. Put me down. We are close to my secret exit out of the castle."

Xael follows my gaze before coughing, clearing his throat to speak.

Xael: "You are completely right. It slipped my mind about that exit."

"You know of it?"

Xael "Of course, but now is not the time for questions Win."

Running to the passage he lightly sets me down.

Xael: " If I could carry you through this passage I would, but I can't, it is too narrow. Go in front of me."

I nod only to buckle and fall with the first step I take. Xael catches me before I hit the ground.

Xael: "Win what's wrong?"

"My knee, it hurts."

We both glance down  at it to see a dark spot seeping into the pant leg. Another blasts shakes the castle as Xael holds onto the wall for balance.

Xael: "Push through the pain or we won't make it out of the castle alive."

I nod, wincing as I stand up straight. I limp into the tunnel; reaching out behind me to grab Xael's hand. As I move through the exit I can hear the passageway crumble behind us.

Xael: "Faster Winnie move!"

When we finally make it out of the castle to the front of my garden entrance I fall to my knee in pain, crying out in agony. Xael drops his bag immediately tending to my wound. Ripping open the pants leg blood continues to flow down my leg. Ripping off the excess fabric from my pants he ties it tight around my knee stopping the blood flow.

Xael: "Winnie you need to calm down. I stopped the bleeding."

Rubbing my back soothingly I hiccup a couple of times before finally catching my breath. Wiping away stray tears I can see Xael is still on alert looking all around us.

"What do we do now?"

Xael: "Now we run. There was no fence put up back here due to the acres of forest, so we have our way out. It is finding our way out of the forest that will be the challenge.

"What about the others? Where are the carriages? Your horse, we can't leave him."

Xael: "I am faster than my horse, besides he is probably dead."

No....

I feel tears begin to well up in my eyes as Xael senses my heartache.

Xael: "He was an old boy anyway. We need to leave. I am going to shift then I need you to climb on my back, hold on tight and keep your head down. Can you do that?"

I sniff, nodding slowly as I watch Xael go behind a tree. The sound of his bones cracking into place causes me to flinch as he trots back from hiding with clothes in his mouth. Shoving the clothes into his bag I go to pick it up only for him to signal with his snout for me to get on. His ears perk up as if to say he hears them as I grab onto his soft fur. Placing the bag strap in between his teeth he sprints into the forest as the voices of our enemy can be heard in the distance as we get farther and farther away from them. Hours pass by as Xael continues to run not stopping or ever looking back.

"Xael you need to rest. We are far away from the castle. I can't see it in the distance behind us anymore. That has to be a good sign."

Slowing down to a trot he finds a crystal clear brook to drink from. As he is drinking I slide down his back limping to the water. Before I can do anything Xael pulls me back gently with his teeth latched to my nightgown as I fall to my bottom. Screaming out in pain his wolf whimpers, licking my face in apology. He shifts right in front of my eyes as I look away from the now naked Xael.

Xael: "I'm sorry Win I wasn't thinking. I thought you were going to fall in."

"I just wanted a drink and to wash the dried blood off my knee. Put on clothes."

Shuffling is heard as I hear silence for a few minutes before a coolness hits my leg sending a shiver down my entire body. Making eye contact again I can see Xael is using a goblet to pour water on my knee, washing it of dirt and dried blood. Taking in the beauty of our location I can see we got lucky finding a spot vacant of trees and other forestry.  Xael slowly peeks underneath my bandage as he gasps softly before digging through his bag, searching for something.

"What's in that bag?"

Xael: " Everything we need to make it to the mountains. Clothes, a bit of food, blankets, healer kit and a shelter."

"Are we making camp here?"

Xael: "It is getting dark and I could use the stars as navigation, but honestly I am exhausted, plus the air smells of rain. We could both use rest and a little food."

"How far away are we from the mountains?"

Xael: "It is about a two to three day trip. Do not worry yourself Winnie. We will make it."