Chapter 44

As the sun descends down out of the sky I glance at myself one last time in the mirror.

Who knew all it took for me to disappear into a crowd was for me to cut my hair.

Running my fingers through my hair I sigh in a bit of sadness.

When Holly said short I didn't want this short.

Holly: "Are you ready to go Winnie?"

Walking into the bathroom she gently puts her head on my shoulder, smiling at my reflection in the mirror.

"It's so short."

Holly: "That's the point. You will get use to the change. Hair grows back. Our carriage is here, no more gawking at yourself. You are perfect. Now put on your mask and hold your head high. I will speak for you tonight."

"I can't go to Xael looking the way I do. He loves my hair. Why do you think I've never cut it in years. He is going to freak out, then I will have to deal with Elden and he will try to kill you because of his anger issues. I'm panicking now. I can't do this."

Holly: "You'll be fine. He loves you no matter what you look like. You are overreacting."

"My hair is to my shoulders! My shoulders Holly! He will be furious."

Holly: "Promise him sex and he will chill out. Time to go."

Tying my mask tight she gives my appearance one more glance over before grabbing my hand and pulling me out the bathroom and down the stairs to our awaiting carriage. Once inside I fiddle with the gold bracelet on my small wrist.

Holly: "You need to calm yourself."

"Why are we taking a carriage? The castle is just a few steps away from us."

Holly: "Because this is tradition. Also we can't get our dresses dirty. And I can barely walk in my shoes without feeling extremely uncomfortable. Relax Winnie."

"You can't call me that anymore." I whisper to her.

Holly: "You are completely right. I'm sorry. What should I call you instead?"

"Call me Anna."

Holly: "Your mother would be so proud to hear that name."

"I don't want to talk about her right now. I just want things to be the way they were."

Holly: "Don't we all."

The carriage comes to an abrupt halt as the door is opened by a footman. He lends his hand for us to take. Taking his hand he helps me down as my royal blue dress billows behind me. With a small smile Holly holds out her arm for me to take as we interlock arms. Walking slowly side by side to the front entrance of the castle I look back briefly to catch the sight of other wolves arriving by carriages even more elegant than ours, peaking my curiosity. Two of the biggest men I've ever seen in my life guard the golden doors. Stone- faced they both stand straight not making any movements as Holly hands a tiny scroll to one of them. He glances at it before nodding as they silently open the doors for us.

My eyes widen in amazement at the amount of gold decorating the hallways of the castle as we enter into the grand hall. Music playing loudly, the amount of wolves dancing with merriment is overwhelming. I inch closer to Holly's side. Searching around I see no sign of Xael anywhere. Sitting upon two golden thrones are his parents, smiling and laughing with the people surrounding them.

"Do you see Xael? I don't see him." I whisper to Holly as she smiles brightly while waving to people she knows."

Holly: "He should be announced soon. The ball has just begun. He will be here before the actual moon appears."

"Where is Dimitrii, shouldn't he be by your side?"

Holly: "He is arriving with my mother. Since you are my escort. Lets mingle."

"Are you sure it's safe?"

Holly: "You have nothing to worry about. I sniffed you a million times. You only smell of me. Relax and enjoy the ball."

"Yes, your friend should relax. We are all family here."

Recognizing the voice, a shiver creeps down my spine as my eyes immediately drop to the ground in fear.

Holly: "Didn't your mother tell you not to ease drop on ladies Lochlainn."

"I do as I please Holly bush. Haven't you learned that already."

Holly: "What do you want man whore?"

Lochlainn: "Just looking for your mate. There is someone I would like to introduce to him."

Holly: "He will be here soon now go away."

She shoos him off with the flick of her wrist as he disappears into the crowd.

"He didn't even look twice at me."

Holly: "See what did I tell you. Trust your big sister."

Trumpets sound as the room becomes deadly quiet. Xael's parents stand up to speak.

"Please kneel for the entrance of our Alpha King and beloved son Xael Caius Orrin Alesandro."

Author's Note

I just want to thank everyone again for being so kind and understanding in regards to when I post on this story. I've been dealing with some mental health related issues, so to see positive, funny, comments and constructive criticism makes me smile. Not that it matters, but I have put a glimpse of my face on my profile picture just because I'm in a good place and I want you guys to know more about me. Anyways new chapter next Wednesday and please continue to comment, vote and share my story.