Chapter 31

Author's Note

I'm super sorry for the late update. I will be back to updating at least once, probably twice a week. Thank you so much for all the comments and votes. Be sure leave me your feedback.

Shooting up from my seat I come closer to see what has halted her speech. In the dim light it is hard to see, but she goes to wave her hands only to be further restrained by the green blur. Rushing to her aid I survey what is restraining her.

It's ivy, but where is it coming from?

The moment I touch it, it disappears from around her neck and hands as she falls to the floor with an unpleasant thump. Stricken with fear I stand there in shock at the unmoving witch on the floor.

What have I done? What do I do?

Stepping backwards the floor creaks slightly as I run back to the room Xael is passed out in slamming the door behind me. I lock it before rushing to his beside.

"Xael wake up! I think I did something awful."

Shaking his shoulder roughly he barely moves, snoring softly as he snuggles more into the pillow.

This isn't happening.

Now sitting on the edge of the bed next to his large body I pull off my shoes before getting under the covers cuddling up to Xael. Almost instinctual he rolls over, placing his arm around as we lay face to face. I kiss his lips before forcing myself to fall asleep with him. I do not know how long I was out for, but I am awakened to a tickling sensation. Yawning a bit I open my eyes to see Xael glancing down at me, with his hair tickling my cheek.

"Xael I killed the witch."

Xael: "What witch Win?"

"Keturah, the one who brought us here."

Xael: "Where is here?"

"Oh no! Have you lost your memories?"

I sit up in the bed moving in close, while putting one hand on his stubbly cheek.

Xael: "No. All I remember is struggling to find you after being wounded in the forest. I passed out and then I woke up in bed naked with you, somehow you are fully clothed."

Smirking he feels the fabric in between his fingertips awaiting a reply.

"Now is not the time to get into my knickers. This is serious. I killed her, we are behind schedule in getting to our people and someone is literally trying to capture me. How can you be so calm? Are you still daft?"

Xael: "Do not speak to me that way Winnie. I am trying to make the best of the situation."

"By trying to get under my skirt!"

Flinging the covers off I stand up, turning to face the bed.

Xael: "Why don't you relax my little Winnie. We need to gather what we can from this abandoned home and then leave out at nightfall. I killed all those men except the leader. He got away from me after cutting me with his dagger. I know he will just bring more men after you. We need to get to the mountains."

"This home isn't abandoned! It was owned by Keturah who is now dead, in her potion room and I did it."

Xael: "I will come with you to see this dead body.

Rising up abruptly the blanket drops to the floor and so do my thoughts.

"Put clothes on."

Xael: "If she is dead as you say she is then my manhood should not offend her. And if she is alive, seeing me naked might just kill her."

He smiles, turning around fully to face me. My eyes travel down slightly before popping back up to meet his eyes. They flicker pitch black then back to stormy grey.

"Cover up with the blanket. Put it away."

Xael: "Your eyes say different, but close them if you must. I'm not clothing myself because I want to stay in bed with you, if only to cuddle. I keep losing you; I don't want our last moments to be ones of panic, sadness, and distress."

"Just follow me."

Holding my hand out I face forward waiting for him to take it. Once he does I pull him along to her potion room, only to find just an empty room. I drop his hand.

"She was right there!"

I point.

Xael: "Princess, you are tired. You are fragile right now."

"Xael it was real. How do you explain being healed, or being able to find me?"

Xael: "I call it fate. As long as we are together, it shouldn't matter how we got here."

"I'm beginning to rub off on you. I stand by what I said. I just can't believe. It's like she wasn't here. She told me I was promised to another man. That's why I was left in that forest. My mother was trying to protect me."

I sniff, letting a couple of tears fall before letting Xael wipe them away.

Xael: "Does this place have a kitchen?"

I nod silently embracing him for a hug.

Xael: "I love you, but your mood swings drive me crazy woman. I'm going to get some food and water, try to find me some clothes if you wish."

Kissing my cheek he exits out of the room as I glance around the bare room in confusion and frustration. Leaving to search for clothes I trip over a foreign object, falling directly on top of it. Lifting myself up I smile at the clue left behind from Keturah, giving me hope.

"The legend of elementals."