Chapter 32

Smiling brightly I pick myself off the floor before staring intently at the book with glee. Walking back the way that I remember the kitchen is I push open the door to see there is a kettle still positioned near the fireplace. A small light creeps into the room from the outside, but the storm still hasn't stopped. Dropping the book onto the wooden table I go directly to the windowsill, lighting the candles all around the room with a tiny flame given off by the dying embers in the fireplace. Once satisfied with the amount of illumination I sit on a stool hidden underneath the small table. Inspecting the book I find a silk ribbon holding a certain page that peaks my curiosity. Blowing the dust off of the tattered leather bound book I open up to the silk marked page. In elegant script of the purest black ink is the word...

"Nymphs."

Is that what I am?

"Nymphs are a special type of elemental devoted entirely to nature. Their beauty and allure cannot compare to a normal human female. Each nymph is born with a specific gift. They can control a single element (earth, water, air, fire). Nymphs are not immoral, but their beauty never diminishes, allowing them to live long lives. Due to their nurturing nature Nymphs are typically given as brides to powerful men for child bearing."

I let those words sink in as loud thumping breaks my concentration from the bold words written on the page.

Xael: "What are you reading Winnie?"

Slamming the book shut quickly I turn around to see Xael still naked in all his glory. Smears of blood coat his skin as I look down at the dead deer now sitting in the middle of the room.

"That is disgusting. I do not know how to cook that poor defenseless animal, nor will I watch you eat it."

Xael: "I wasn't going to ask you to cook it for me, but it is expected as my mate."

Shaking my head at his comment I pick up the book, holding it tight to my chest as I stand in front of him.

"How many times must I tell. I am not your property. I am your equal."

Xael: "Winnie, don't be that way."

He moves to touch me, but I step away. Smirking he steps forward again, only for me to back up more."

Xael: "What are you doing little mouse?"

"Do not touch me with your blood soaked hands."

Xael: "I only wish to apologize, the best way I know how."

"You have mischief in your eyes."

Xael: "I do?"

My eyes shift towards to the door as Xael smirks bigger, before making his move. I dash to the door to find a place to hide to continue my reading.

Xael: "Do not run from me little mouse!"

"I'm not in the mood for your games Xael."

Running to the bedroom, I shut and lock the door. As soon as my bottom touches the bed, loud banging comes from outside.

Xael: "Little Winnie let me in."

"Eat your food, clean your body and for goodness sake put on clothes, then I will open the door."

Xael: "Little mouse as soon as I finish my meal you will feel my wrath."

I giggle at his playfulness before focusing my attention back to the book. Opening it to where I left off.

"Nymphs only eat food created by nature. They do not eat any living creature. Younger nymphs are controlled by their emotions and because of that their powers are harder to control. These creatures have no enemies, but vampires and witches crave their blood."

My heart quickens after reading that statement, putting the book down.

I wonder if Keturah took my blood after I passed out.

Feeling the urge to see Xael to question him more about my childhood I hide the book underneath the bed. Unlocking the bedroom door I try to find him.

"Xael."

Xael: "In here princess!"

Following the sound of his voice I open the door to a new part of the home I had yet to explore. I hesitate looking all around the big sized bathroom, shocked that it has a tub in it big enough to fit Xael. Half submerged in the water with a cloth wrapped around his neck he continues to keep his eyes closed, while soaking in the murky water. Sitting in front of him crisscross I stare intently at him awaiting his attention.

Xael: "What's wrong now?"

"I've come to the realization that I'm not human and you've known for years. Same with mother."

Opening his eyes he sighs wiping his face off with the cloth before his eyes stare back at me.

Xael: "I had my doubts, but I believed what I wanted to believe Win. Did little weird things happen around you? Yes. Was I concerned? No. You were raised human. Whenever you were very angry or extremely happy stuff would happen, but then no other magical type events would happen again for weeks, sometimes months."

"Why were you so in denial? It's my birthright to know these things."

Xael: "I feared you would leave me once you found out about your true heritage."

"I would never leave you.

Author's Note

So book one has a couple of more chapters before I start book two. Now I want your opinion. I really want to make a prequel of life before their relationship then book two, but let me know what you think. As of right now after book 1, book 2 will be right after. I love you guys and thanks for the comments, votes and adds.