Chapter 42

Author's Note

I can't explain why I've been on hiatus for so long with this story, but I can say with certainty I am back to writing daily on this story. I've gone through a lot recently, but the one thing that has been consistently good in my life has been writing stories. I want to thank all my readers for all you guys have done for this story. Currently my story is ranked #17 in servant, #147 in truelove, #66 in orphan and #126 in soulmate and I couldn't be happier. Please continue to leave me comments and votes to let me know how the story is going so far. Thanks.

Annabelle: "Yes child what do you need? I need to finish making this bread for dinner tonight. Go into the dining room. Don't make him wait anymore."

"Make who wait? Gabriel?"

Annabelle: "Are you feeling okay? You spend too much time with your head in the clouds now shoo, I can't have you distracting me while I'm cooking. You can get your breakfast in the garden after you finish entertaining that man."

"Okay."

Still confused I turn around and leave the room to see if I can find anyone in the house to explain my mother's weird behavior. Entering into the dining room the chatter stops. Looking around I see that everyone is eating, as soon as they see me a silence befalls over the room. Gabriel is the first person to stand up. Walking over to me he puts his hand on my shoulder before bringing me into a hug. Relaxing into his chest I let him comfort me before letting me go. Staring down at me he opens his mouth only to close it again. Struggling to find words to say to me I cut him off.

"What is going on? What's wrong with her? I think she is talking about Xael. He isn't even here."

Gabriel:"It seems as though your mother has lost portions of her memory. She is in a state of delusions."

"I don't understand?"

Gabriel:"She doesn't remember what has happened in these last couple of weeks. I believe she thinks that we are still in the castle back home. She thinks I'm Xael, which makes sense since I was with her before she got sick."

"All I wanted is for her to get better. Now I worry even more."

Gabriel:"Maybe this is for the best. The situation between you and Xael caused her a bit of stress when you were together. If she doesn't remember, I don't think that it is such a bad thing. With time hopefully her mind will heal."

"I think you are right, but her delusions could cause her to have a slip of the tongue. If the wrong person were to hear her ramblings we could all be in dire trouble."

Gabriel:"Let me worry about such things. Go pick your breakfast from the garden out back and stay out of trouble."

Nodding I slowly make my way out of the house somehow finding my way to my new place of solitude. Standing in front of the medium sized garden I smile briefly in delight to the food in front of me. Pulling off my shoes I set them aside before kneeling in front of my favorite fruit bush.

So plump and red. They have grown beautifully. A cared for garden.

Picking a single strawberry, I savor the tartness in my mouth before grabbing another. Realizing I'm hungrier than I thought I continue to eat more and more until there is nothing left.

Oh no, what have I done.

Gently touching the leaves, a sadness consumes me as my fingertips tingle I watch in amazement as the strawberry plant blooms new fruit. Drawn to the power I just exhibited I stare in curiosity at my hands. A looming presence blocks the sunlight as I'm startled by a mysterious figure behind me.

"Well fancy meeting you here."

Rising up I brush the dirt off my dress as I turn around to face Lochlainn. Ruffling his golden hair, he smirks at me as his eyes take in my appearance.

"I thought I was all alone out here."

Grabbing my shoes, I quickly tug them back on.

Lochlainn:"You ruined your pretty dress."

"It's just a dress. A mere possession."

Lochlainn:"You are quite strange. I've never met a high-status woman who didn't care about the clothes she wears or the items she possesses."

"Do you need something?"

Lochlainn:"Why is it that you don't swoon at the sight of me?"

"Excuse me?"

Lochlainn:"My apologies. I tend to be a brazen fellow. Some find it shameless others define it as arrogance. Frankly I don't read into what people think of me. Anyways I am wondering if a delicate little flower such as yourself has an escort to the moon ball for tomorrow night."

"I can't believe I forgot all about the ball. Shouldn't it be cancelled, given the circumstances. We are in the middle of war for goodness sakes. Why would Xael approve this?"

Lochlainn:"Why so distraught little bird? Alpha King Alesandro announced that the ball would still be taking place yesterday morning. I believe the council put our lovely king up to it, to bring some joy to the castle. It makes sense. The ball has been going on for centuries. Never has it ever been canceled. You should ask our king Xael personally about his need for this ball to happen. I for one think it is a terrible idea. You want to know something funny.

"Sure."

Lochlainn: "I've never heard a fellow werewolf call our king by his first name.  I assume you must know him on a personal level, which makes sense because you smell like him."

Shit. Think of something clever.

"When I lived in the castle under his ruling he was never strict or ill-natured. He was friendly and caring. He told us all to call him by his first name. He trusted us in that way. This place is nothing like Zeonia. There is no community here."

Lochlainn: "What bold words from such a small girl. You should be mindful of how you address a superior, especially behind these walls. This isn't your home and rules must be upheld here."

"Your tip is much appreciated. I must be going. I need to help Holly with mending a dress of hers for her mother."

Stepping forward to leave, Lochlainn blocks my path grinning an unsettling smile.

Lochlainn:"You still haven't answered my question from before."

"Which one would that be?"

Lochlainn: "Will you accompany me to the moon ball tomorrow night?"

"I can't. I do not have a formal dress. I have very little possessions right now."

Lochlainn: "Do not worry. I could have a seamstress here by mid-afternoon. She would take your measurements then I would have them create you something unique. It would be ready by tomorrow evening."

"Again, I can't, nor could I afford such a kindness. Also I don't have a formal invite."

Lochlainn: "I am your invitation. The dress would be paid for by me, no need to pay me back."

"I can't"

I move to the side to go into the house only to hear his voice behind me.

Lochlainn:"I really do not like hearing the words no. I really wish you would reconsider. I won't be able to stop my lips from talking about you at the ball if you don't accompany me. Who knows who I might talk to there about the lovely Winnie, of the Baldassare family. They will grow sick of me and want to meet the woman who has captured my interest."