Chapter 39

Author's Note

I'm back!!! Oh my goodness I've been extremely sick, to the point I thought I needed to go to the hospital cause I was having such a hard time breathing. Anyways I'm back and more invigorated to write. Please continue to vote and comment. Love you guys! Thanks for your patience. The next chapter will have a separate mature part that you can find posted in my mature chapters book. 

Maybe I could heal her with my tears. I did it once; I could do it again... right. But this is different; I'm not raising the dead. It won't work because I can't control what I am. I need to talk to Holly. She can tell her father to deliver a message to Xael. He will send a human healer to care for her.

Hurrying back upstairs I search for Holly, only to find her mother alone preparing the deer in the small kitchen. With one long pull she rips the skin from the carcass without hesitation. Bits of blood splatter back into her face as she begins to separate the pieces.

"That is truly foul!"

Gagging at the sight I start to feel dizzy holding onto the wall for support.

"Are you okay dear?"

Closing my eyes I fall to my knees in despair.

"Could you cover it up please Mrs. Baldassare? I need to talk to you."

"Of course and call me Mary. Please Winnie let's talk in the parlor. I will make you some tea to calm your nerves."

Nodding I stand up, wobbling with every step. With the animal now covered I let out sigh of relief as I exit out of the room. Wiping some collected dust off of my dress I cautiously sit down on the parlor's couch. Entering into the room Mary sits directly beside me. Holding out her arms I embrace her. I cry onto her shoulder, releasing pent-up sadness and frustration.

Mary: "There, there... everything will be alright Winnie. You can talk to me. What do you need?"

"I need my mother."

I mumble into her shoulder, trying to stop my tears.

Mary: "I know it is hard, you being so young without your mother's guidance, but I believe in her strength and you should too."

"I feel helpless. I can't do anything for her."

Mary: "You are stronger than you realize Winnie. You must have faith."

"You are right. Mother wouldn't want me to fall apart over her. I'm sorry for getting your dress wet. My life has been pretty chaotic lately, it's overwhelming."

Mary: "Yes, it has been depressing around here. I do miss our kingdom. All the wolves here are obsessed with money and status. They shed no tears for our fallen brethren. It makes me angry. As soon as King Xael resolves this war we will be home again to our piece of paradise."

"Have you seen Holly? I kind of wanted to talk to her about something. She said she was going to prepare the deer."

Mary: "Oh honey, Holly's hormones are at an all time high, especially during pregnancy. I can barely keep her away from Dmitrii. Just be glad you do not have the ears of a werewolf. I hear things a mother shouldn't hear from her daughter."

She laughs loudly at her comments before patting my leg and standing up.

Mary: "She will appear for dinner, until then I suggest you go rest. Since Holly has told Lochlainn that you are our cousin I figure it is in your best interest to sleep in the guest room down the hall from Holly's room. It is an all black door. You can't miss it. That man whore stops by unannounced, so I do not want to raise suspicion on who you are by you sleeping in the basement. It is the smallest of the rooms, but you do have a private bathroom to use. I will send Holly to buy you some more clothes from town this week."

"You heard that vile man speak to us."

Mary: "I am a mother. I hear all. For your safety I need you to stay away from that man. He is not good news. Now go rest up sweetheart. I will bring you tea after I am done cleaning the deer. Does that sound okay?"

"Yes, thank-you."

Back upstairs I pass by Holly's bedroom as the weird sounds coming from her room frighten me. Turning the knob to my bedroom the door creaks open. Turning on a light I immediately see a medium sized wicker basket placed on top of my small bed. Curious, I inspect its contents careful not to touch the gift left for me.

Who is this from?

Picking up the tiny letter I break the golden wax seal of a rose. Pulling the parchment out I flip it over to read the beautiful calligraphy in front of me.

My lovely Winnie,

I see the pain you are going through and I want to help. Steep the herbs from black pouch in water. Prick your finger with the needle I've provided and put one drop of your blood into the mixture. Serve this medicine to your mother scalding hot. She will be better, within a few hours. Also in this basket I have collected all of your favorite foods to help keep your strength up. When the time is right all will reveal itself, until then you are safe amongst the wolves. Control your emotions and the powers you possess will be more easily accessed. Keep your head held high my precious flower and remember I'm always watching over you.

Could it be? This isn't from Xael this has to be my mother.

"My birth mother."

Why hasn't she revealed herself?

Running back downstairs I make my way into the kitchen to find Mary kneading dough on the counter, no traces of blood in sight.

Mary: "What can I help you with? I hope you like my homemade sweet tart pastries with dinner."

"I need hot water I have medicine for my mother."

Mary: "There is hot water in the kettle for tea. Be careful it is very hot."

Continuing her cooking I scramble to find everything I need. I pour a good amount of water into a chipped teacup before dumping her medicine into it. Grabbing a spoon and the cup I carefully walk out of the kitchen praying that this gift cures my mother of her pain.