Chapter 19

Anastasia: "What do you mean she is human?"

Xael:  "There is no other way to explain it. Winnie is my human mate and I love her."

The silence between the two royals fills the air. They both stare at me as I fiddle with my necklace, given to me by Xael on my 14th birthday.

Anastasia: "Is she a servant son or does she perform other duties?"

I scrunch up my face, frowning at the implications of the question as I look to Xael for comfort. Reaching for my hand he squeezes it softly, before rubbing in a circular motion with his thumb.

Xael:  "Winnie is a lady Mother. Our relationship is purely innocent. Clearly we have much to discuss, but after the meeting. Until we have a private talk please keep this information to yourself. Do not tell father. "

She nods silently, with an unreadable expression on her face. Hugging me gently she exits out of the library, leaving Xael and I alone. He reaches out to touch my cheek, stroking it softy.

Xael: "Put a smile on your face."

Pulling away from his hand I step away from his touch. Bringing my attention to the stack of books behind me I let my fingertips brush against them as I focus on the literature.

"She is disappointed in me. This isn't how I pictured I would be introduced to your mother. I wanted her to see me regal and elegant like the female wolfs invited to the moon ball you hold here every year. Instead I came off as weak, needing you to speak for me. You give me everything and I do nothing in return and she sees that. "

Xael: "Winnie look at me."

I glance over my shoulder, still refusing to meet his gaze.

Xael: " Your love has been payment enough. I was miserable till I found you. I changed for the better. You changed me for the better and you owe me nothing, but your love."

"If the other male wolves could see you now. Pouring your heart out like a Shakespearean novel. Next you will be asking me 'What's in a name?'"

I smile brightly at Xael, fully facing him as he returns a smile back.

Xael: "Do not worry about my mother. She is very open-minded. I wouldn't worry about what she thinks of you. Just be yourself and she will fall in love with you."

I nod slowly as Xael starts to walk in the opposite direction of where I stand.

Xael: " I hate to cut this conversation short, but I must be going. I have an urgent matter to attend to."

"What is it? Is it serious?"

Xael: " I do not want to alarm you Winnie, I'm handling it."

" I am to be queen soon, your Luna, I should know the inner workings of the council."

Xael: "You need to be taught how to defend yourself before I let you in any meetings with those brutes. The way they treat slaves is barbaric."

"Really?"

Xael: " Yes Win, but this is a talk for another time. Go back to my room. Wait for me there."

"I'm tired of being cooped up in a room. I feel like a prisoner. I want to go to my garden."

Xael: "You reek of my scent. It won't take long for one of my guests to find you wandering. They do not know the rules I have about you, so I would rather you stay out of harm's way. Go back to the room. It is for your safety."

"I hate that you are keeping stuff from me."

Xael: " Tonight we will talk, now I must get a book from here."

I watch him disappear behind the bookcases for a couple of minutes before returning with a large leather bound book. On it is an engraved gold floral pattern that shimmers in the light. I can not make out the title, seeing as the book is covered with a layer of dust.

I've never seen that book before and I'm in the library constantly, looking for new material to read. Was it hidden from me?

Kissing my forehead he mumbles, "Stay out of trouble" before rushing out of the room.  I sigh in frustration knowing that it isn't possible for me to go back the way I came to get to our rooms.

Those girls could still be out there. I need to find another way to get back.  Mother always said that there are hidden passageways all over this place.

Pressing my face up against the door I am greeted with silence. Once out of the library I walk in the opposite direction that I came. Observing my surroundings I practically tip toe through the empty corridor. I soon notice family portraits on the wall.

In all my years living in this castle I've never seen these family portraits before. How interesting.

Searching for Xael's picture I find it centered between his mother, and a man I do not recognize. I begin to study the oil painting, hanging in front of me.

He was so handsome with short hair. He has to be a teenager in this painting. His gray colored eyes much darker now. The painter captured how his eyes twinkle when the sun hits his face.

Feeling a bit lonely my hand slowly travels to my locket, holding it softy in my palm as I continue to stare at Xael.

"I wish I could see him. He seemed quite anxious; I could see it in his eyes."

Closing my eyes I picture his face in my mind. I continue to daydream for a couple of minutes when I start to feel a warmth spread inside my hand. It lightly tickles me causing me to open my eyes in a panic. Glancing down I see that my necklace is glowing again, this time emitting a constant warm tingly sensation.

Do not panic Winnie. Don't panic. Think logically. If the necklace wanted to hurt you it would have done so when you were a baby.

I release the necklace from my hand. Instead of it falling to my chest the locket portion floats directly in front of me, pulling away from my neck.

I don't know what to do. Does it want me to take it off or keep it on?

Deciding to take it off I am met with a tiny sting as I release the necklace, continuing to let it float.

"I don't know if you can understand me locket, but that wasn't very nice. My fingers are throbbing with pain."

The warmth spreads again, only this time through my entire body before it stops completely, leaving me breathless.

The pain is gone.

But the glowing hasn't stopped as the locket continues to pull away from me; this time the tugging is harder than before as I finally step forward to stop the harsh rubbing against the nape of my neck. As soon as I close the small distance between us it moves away again, continuing to pull.

It wants me to follow it, but to where?

Author's Note

Guys... guys... I MADE IT TO 1,000 reads!!! All you guys are awesome! I'm so happy, but also nervous cause I would hate to disappoint my readers. Anyways please continue to leave comments, vote, and add my story to your reading list. Do you guys want more mature interactions between Xael and Winnie? I can keep it vanilla, but I would appreciate input. If I post any mature chapters I would give you guys a heads up and they would be private meaning only followers could read it. Until next time, love you guys!