Chapter 4

Author Note

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the more love I get for this story the quicker I will churn out chapters. Thanks for the comments and votes.

A.M.

"It shouldn't matter why I was whipped Winnie just as long as you are never in the same predicament."

"Please tell me."

He sighs softly in frustration before replying.

"I was taught a lesson, that is all you need to know."

"Did master whip you?"

"Winnie, just stop!"

I back away in fright before he looks at me with regret.

"My mother raised me better than this. I'm sorry."

"Apology accepted."

I say in a small voice. Retrieving medical supplies from the nightstand and a sewing kit from a wicker basket filled with cloth straps I begin to organize everything I need placing it on the small table by the bathing water in front of us.

"So how do you know how to sew up wounds?"

"The pack doctor."

I pick up the needle pouring antiseptic on it before threading.

"What does a house slave know about treating wounds?"

"I was taught because I went on a lot of trips with master. Sometimes our pack doctor couldn't travel with us, so I was responsible for any wounds that needed tending until they could get to another doctor."

"Weren't you scared, to have such a big responsibility among the werewolves? They could have killed you, if you let one of them die."

"Master would never let any of them touch me. Hold still this will hurt. I will try to be gentle."

He flinches as soon as the needle goes in, but remains quiet as I work on sewing him up.

"How do you know my mother? She doesn't trust so easily. I'm surprised that she gave you a key to get into this room."

"I met her when I arrived to this place. She has been teaching me the rules and who is who around here. Plus I was going to my room for a nap, which is located directly across from hers when she asked me to do her a favor. She never told me that you would be in the room. Annabelle spoke of a daughter, but I didn't know it was you."

The room goes silent again as he allows me to concentrate.

"There. I'm finished. I just have to dab salve on it. I will use leftover clothing scraps to wrap it."

I wipe the remaining blood off his back with the extra fabric before wrapping his wound tight.

"It will take a couple of days for the wound to heal completely. I could check on it every other day if you want. After it heals the thread needs to be pulled out. Also you need to unwrap then rub this salve on your back. It will help the healing process, but make sure to rub this in with clean hands; otherwise, you will just infect the wound."

"I can't thank you enough Winnie."

Zachary stands up, his large frame towering over me.

"How can I repay you?"

Stepping closer he reaches out to touch me.

"Don't."

Grabbing the salve on the table Zachary picks up his dirty and blood stained shirt. With it in hand he leaves without saying another word, locking the door behind him. Exhaling out I feel conflicted on how I handled the situation with Zachary.

Most men never pay me attention and if they did they surely leave me be once master found out about our interaction. I can't help Zachary anymore. Master can't find out that we have spoken. He would think the worst of me if he knew I helped him.

Trying to forget about Zachary I strip out of my clothes. Knowing that my bathing water is now cold, I begin to wash my entire body.

I have to get rid of his smell. When I finally see him again he can't know I disobeyed his orders.

Scrubbing my skin until I am satisfied that Zachary's scent is gone from my body. I find an old dress I wore when I was eighteen that was ripped at the bottom by my clumsiness. Mother fixed the tear, but never gave the dress back, saying it was too unbecoming to wear due to the amount of cleavage it showed. Picking up an old book from my childhood I begin to read till sundown. There is a knock on the door before it unlocks and opens again.

"Are you decent child?"

"Yes, mother."

Sitting up in the bed mother comes in with a plate of food, shutting and locking the door behind her.

"Sorry dinner is so late, master has company over."

"Are you going to keep me locked up in this cramped cold room forever. This is ridiculous. I hate it here."

"You watch your tongue young lady. You need to learn to be more appreciative. You are spoiled rotten to the core and I won't stand for it any more Winnie. Tomorrow you will be working down in the laundry room with me. Now eat your food. I do not want to listen to any more of your sass. I am going to sleep. I will get you a proper maid's uniform tomorrow. Can't have people talking about you in that harlot getup."

Taking the plate from my mother I sit at the table to eat. Tears flowing down my cheeks and onto my plate of vegetables creating a distasteful meal as I continue to cry quietly to myself.