Episode 68: Witch? (Thalia)

"A witch?" I asked, staring at Olivia.

"What do you mean?"

"Your powers are..." He closed his eyes, falling into slumber.

***

"What do you think he meant?" Olivia asked, raising the hot cup of chocolate against her lips.

I blew on mine.

"I don't have many guesses."

"You said that he called you a 'witch'?" Jason asked, touching his friend's hand.

"Don't take it to heart," Elliot said. "People have a tendency to call foreigners that. Especially those of different religions."

If only that was it... but the look in brother's eyes. It was something else. It was xenophobia, but a different kind of fear. 

"Thalia," Father called out, rushing into the kitchen.

"How are you doing?" I asked.

"Better now, thanks to your friend here."

Isabelle grinned as she ran to join us. "No problem."

"They aren't my friends," I said.

Father sighed. "Really? They seem to..."

"I don't need any friends!" I snapped, sitting up from the table. "Plus you got more important things to worry about. Just what was my brother thinking? Challenging Mother like that?"

I looked down. "Uh... You see..."

He took a seat next to me. "From what I've gathered, it appears that your brother is working for someone. Someone who granted him the power to nearly be on par with your mother."

"What?"