Chapter 5: The White Horse

One day, at the Fa Port, there was a large merchant ship with a large pure white flag. The flag had an eagle emblem. I listened around and found out it that the massive ship belongs to the infamous Bai family. In the past life, even while I was isolated from society, I still heard of the Bai's name. I know they were one of the top merchant family - many of the things used in the capital city were traded with the Bai Family. Even the Fa family is second to the Bai.

Standing to the side and helping carrying the small packages, I didn't think any further but to do my usual job. It wasn't until I heard a loud commotion and the sound of an angry horse that I turned my attention to the large ship. That was when I saw a beautiful pure white horse bind by several ropes held by 6 men. The horse was small - still very young so I was shocked to see how rough the men were handling it. Watching the horrible scene, I noticed the horse sad empty eyes - clouded white. The beautiful pure white horse was blind. A horse value was its sight - without it, how could anyone ride it?

The Bai wanted to dock their ship for 7 days to do business before heading back out to sea. I saw dozens and dozens of men going in and out the ship carrying so many valuable things to be sold or trade. But the only interesting item to be was the pure white horse, angrily caged in the solitary wooden stall all by itself. I was frightened that it was hurting itself as the wood doors rumble each time the wild horse slams it body into the door. It wanted to be free - it desperately wanted to be free.

"Little Lan, do not get close to that horse"

An old horse groomer told me as he noticed my interest toward the horse.

"It's wild and dangerous even for me" He warned me sternly.

For the next two days, I spent most of my time, in the horse stable. Despite the warning, I slowly got closer to the solitary stable with the horse that always bangs itself to the door. I stood outside the door and carefully put the tray of food and water under the door - each time, the horse would kick it away. Each time, I'm covered in water and food. While the other groomer laughed at me, I didn't mind. In a way, I noticed the wild horse temperament was that of a small spoil child - similar to my old self. If things don't go the way I wanted it, I would toss and throw things too. Picking myself up, I tried again to give the horse food and water.

By the third day, when I arrived to the port, I was eager to head to the horse stable when I saw several men dragging the white horse out to the center of the port. From the crowd, I knew the horse was being display for purchase. But the most heartbreaking thing was how rough the men were as they tried to still the horse for the crowd to look at it. The horse was being whipped into submission and yet it refused to bow its head.

"Please, stop! You're hurting it"

I rushed through the crowd and grabbed onto the man's arm with the whip in his hand. The man easily shoved me away from him.

"Boy, what are you doing?" The man glared angrily at me. "This is no place for a child. Leave immediately"

"D_ Don't hit the horse, you're only making it angrier" I got up, refusing to back down. "It will never submit even if you beat it to death"

"Then let it die" The man smirked. "This animal should know its place. its value is already inferior and yet it dares to act so arrogantly, it deserves to be beaten"

"If you beat it to death, how will you sell it?"

I had to reason with him, find a way to make him stop hitting the horse that is already hurt and bruised. Before I had another chance to argue, I was shoved harder to the ground. Clearly, the man will not tolerate a child talking back to him.