Chapter 24: Familiar Emotion

Wang Li Xia and Wang Feng joined me,  Min, Uncle Zedong, and grandfather for a meal. The conversation was   light and Li Xia had asked why the Fa family was at the Wen Province.  When Min explained that they were there for the Spring competition, Li   Xia was confused because Min had already past the allowed age to  compete.

"Mei-mei competes every year" Min laughed and pointed to me.

"Oh?"  Li Xia gave a big smile as she turned to face me. "Wei Lan  joins the  competition too? Li Xia had always wish to join... unfortunately, Li Xia is not allowed"

                Because of her name and status - or rather, her brother's name and status, Li Xia was practically a noble. Only those without ties to nobles can enter the Spring Competition.

"What does Wei Lan usually competes in?" Li Xia suddenly asked.

"Archery and painting" I always compete in those two categories only.

"Then Li Xia must go this year to see" Li Xia smiles with excitement.

"It  will be interesting this year" Min chuckled. "Especially since   its mei-mei's turn this year to do the opening ceremony performance"

"Min-ge!" I nudged at him hard.

                 Min chuckled more while I glared at him to stop.

"Wei Lan, since Min brought you tea from Shu Island, why don't you prepare some for our guest"

"Grandfather" Min pouted at grandfather sudden mentioning of tea. "Min brought it for mei-mei to make only for me later"

"Greed is not a good trait Fa Min" His grandfather tone was calm, even while he's scolding.

                Laughing softly, I stood up when Li brought in my mother tea pot.

"Mei-mei makes the best tea in the country" Min boasts to Wang Feng and Li Xia.

                 Li Xia giggled at Min boasting, while Wang Feng  simply  watched me in silence. Smiling wryly at my childish older cousin,  I prepared  the jade tray over the charcoal. Throughout the years, I never change my routine - clean my  hand,  clean the pot with hot water, and boil the water twice before  putting  in the tea. Depending on the tea, I would filter it several  times  before serving it.

"I never had tea like this before" Li Xia was in awed as she watched me. "Wei Lan, why are you pouring the tea into the cups and charcoal?

                 Surprisingly, Wang Li Xia had been the only one who  was  curious enough to ever ask the questions. Everyone else would just   enjoy the tea; the young girl wants to learn.

"Red Tea came from  blood rose pedals. The scent and taste is  extremely strong. Not many  people like the taste because it's very  bitter... The best way to enjoy  this tea is to filter it over and over  until the sweet root of the  leaves expands"

                I washed and wiped my hands with a  cold towel before turning the cups up. Pouring the tea, I saw that the color was  no longer deep bloody red but pale pink. The  scent was sweet and soft.

"Grandfather, please have some"

                 I smiled softly as I placed the first cup to my   grandfather, then my uncle, Min, Wang Feng, and finally Wang Li Xia. I   watched as Li Xia drinks my tea.

"Wow" Li Xia was so amazed that she couldn't contain her smile. "This is delicious"

                 Min chuckled as he also enjoys the taste of the tea.  As  I refilled their cups, I noticed a soft smile on Wang Feng expression. I was so surprised by the small smile that I almost dropped the pot of tea. What's more, my heart literally stop beating. The man was too beautiful even with his   usual cold and deadly expression. Even though it's difficult for anyone to get   close to such a dangerous man, it doesn't stop people from trying. This   very same man, I remember from past rumors, was well admired by many - especially women. There   many stories of this man with many beauties and even foreign princesses - but the man   never strayed. He was forever loyal to his wife.

                 When Wang Feng eyes suddenly met mine, I felt my  heart beat madly.

How can my heart stop one moment and beat crazily the next?

I  felt unsettled and scared because the emotion felt  too familiar. This  emotion I had thought to kill off since I was given this  second chance of life.  Looking back at the tea, I force my heart to  submission - forced it to  go calm. I forced myself to smile and returned to my  usual expression as I  continued to pour the tea. This time, I refused to  give another look  toward Wang Feng.

"Thank you for the wonderful meal and tea" Li  Xia held my hands. "Wei  Lan, you must come visit me whenever you get  the chance. The Wang  family has a mansion here in Wen Province."

                 I smiled - not responding because there was no way that I would step foot inside the Wang Mansion. Not if I could help it.  I  needed to stay away. Watching the beautiful sibling as they walked away, I felt my heart relaxing. When I turned to see Min looking at me with a sly smile, I punch his stomach and walked back inside, ignoring his painful groan. Heading toward my room, I felt a bit unsettled. I needed to sleep. But memories of my past life continue to flash through my mind, causing me to stay up that entire night.