Chapter 28: His Touch

After I lead Yun back to his stall, I saw that Li was waiting with a worried expression. I shook my head at him, silently telling him not to question what had happened. Li understood and handed me a dark blue ribbon. I thanked him and walked back to Fa Family tent while tying my hair.

"Mei-mei, are you ok?"

                I wasn't surprised to face Min's worried expression as soon as I entered the tent. I nodded with a small smile.

"Grandfather, Wei Lan caused you trouble again"

"Nonsense, that little girl nearly killed you" Grandfather was clearly upset. "I will speak to Bai Yu about this"

                So I didn't accuse Bai Xiao Xue wrongly after all. Everyone saw it the same way I did. Relieved that grandfather wasn't upset with me, I gave a soft smile. When I saw the regal man sitting beside grandfather I felt surprised. I never saw this man before but I sensed that he was not simple. Seeing his eyes on me, I felt in my gut that this man is royalty.

"Wei Lan greet elder..." I bowed my head. "Forgive Wei Lan for causing a scene in the field"

"You performed beautifully, as expected of a fine young lady of the Fa Family"

"Thank you elder for your compliment, Wei Lan still has a lot to learn"

"Since you won this competition, I have a gift for you"

                I knew immediately that this man was indeed royalty by his words. When he held out a box, I was confused. I looked at grandfather who nodded gently. So I came over and accepted the box.

Inside the box, I saw a hair stick of a phoenix bird. I was stunned not because if it's sheer beauty, but because it was made with the rarest blue jade. A hair stick like this could only be worn by a princess or someone of noble birth.

"Wei Lan can't_"

"It is yours" The old man smiled and held up his hand to stop me from refusing. "I'm looking forward toward your next competition. Your grandfather told me you're also competing in painting"

                I nodded softly.

"That hair stick has a pair, cut from the same 100 years old blue jade" The old man told me gently. "If you win your next competition, I will give you its pair"

                Again, I was startled. I wondered why I was given such a precious gift. Then I wondered what rank this old man was to give me such a gift.

"Wei Lan"

                My attention went back to my grandfather.

"You must be tired... why you don't head on back. Min, escort your mei-mei back to the lodging"

                Min smiled and lifted the tent entrance for me. I didn't argue with my grandfather because I myself wanted to leave. I didn't want to stay where seeing Bai Xiao Xue would upset me. Plus, I was indeed, very tired.

"Mei-mei, are you truly ok?"

                I didn't want to lie to Min so I shook my head no.

"That little girl is vicious"

                I didn't respond to that and continued to walk along side Min, not really focusing on the path in front of me.

"Mei-mei"

I nearly crashed into a black wall until I realized the black wall was Wang Feng. Suddenly, I was faced with the man who had made me restless these past few days. He was the reason all those bad memories are resurfacing.