Chapter 27: I Was Not Aware

I was riding Yun into the archery ground when the archery competition started. Even though, I heard Min's cheering, I felt a bit nervous. Before the competition started, Bai Xiao Xue and her small group of friends had started their usual verbal harrassments. Every year it gets worse, and it's now becoming tiresome to have to deal with. Sensing my mood, Yun neighed. I patted the horse back, trying to get my thoughts in order before the competition. It was the third year I've competed and I haven't lost once. I wasn't going to start now because of other's threats and insults. Letting out a hard breath, I head toward the center of the competition grounds when the sound of the horn was blown.

                I was not aware that in the Fa's Family tent, sat an old regal man in a silver and gold robe, who was watching the competition with grandfather. Only the two old men sat at the round table while everyone stood. From their tent, they could see clearly the young beautiful girl in dark blue, her long hair no longer in a braid but tied up in a simple knot. Porcelain skin, pink lips, and big round brown eyes so light they look like jewels. Sitting above the beautiful white horse with clouded white eyes, the girl looked like a goddess with her simple bow and arrow in hand.

                I was not aware that people were watching me intently. Because I had won the archery and painting competition for the past 2 years straight, people took notice. They said how no child had been able to win 2 years straight in the archery before. There is always someone stronger each year and yet the young girl before them completely dominates the field. No one had thought a small young girl was able to beat young men and women taller and older than her. But her beautiful style was undeniable. Her accuracy was sharp. Her eyes were sharper.

                I was not aware that in one of the many tents sat Wang Li Xia, her older brother, and grandmother. Their tent was surrounded by guards in black armors on the outside and pretty maids on the inside. They were watching me from the start. Li Xia was amazed and had clapped each time the girl in blue hit the target. Wang Feng, with his arms folded across his chest, sat there with small smile on his face as he watched the competition. No one noticed his smile.

                I was not aware that by the end of the second round, my competitors were plotting against me. Bai Xiao Xue was adamant in winning. Because Bai Sun wasn't present at the competition this year, Bai Xiao Xue boldly plots to harm me. I wasn't aware that Bai Sun presence at the competition previous years had controlled his people from hurting me. I wasn't aware just how much Bai Xiao Xue had hated me - enough to kill me.

                At the start of the third round, Yun speed through the opened field like the wind. After I manage to hit 3 planks up in the sky, I heard screams and shouts. I wasn't sure who had shouted my name, but I felt a cold chill down my spine. Yan jerked so hard that I nearly fall over. That was when than arrow pass through the back head, missing my head by a hair. I was stunned as my long hair fell loose. The arrow had caught the ribbon I used to tie my hair with. My heart beat fast as Yun was upset and agitated. I had almost been killed. Grabbing Yun by his mane, I whispered for him to continue to run. I was also angry. I set my bow back around my shoulder as Yun took me back into the open field. Seeing all my arrows on the ground ahead, I lowered myself down to the side of Yun and managed to grab four arrows. It was enough for me to finish the competition. Sitting back up, I lifted my arrows and shot 3 planks in the sky.

"Yun!" I shouted loudly - the anger inside my has not subside.

                Yun turned sharply to my voice. The others were already down the field, far ahead of us. I wasn't going to let those cheaters get ahead of me. The last release held one red plank. As Yun ran faster and faster, I stood up on the stirrup using my heels to anchor me. Pulling the last arrow tight against my bow, I stretched the bow to its limits. When I release the arrow, a loud ping echoed through the field. The red plank shattered into pieces with the powerful connection of the arrow. Seeing that I hit the final plank, I sat back down on Yun and eased him to a stop.

                No one spoke a word. The field was met in complete silence. I jumped off Yun and went straight to Bai Xiao Xue. When I saw her smirk, I lifted my hand and smacked her hard across her face. Not only was she stunned, everyone else was as well.

"Did you think I would ignore it when you tried to take my life?" I said coldly as the hand I used to slap her with was now held in a tight fist. "You went too far Bai Xiao Xue"

                I turned and walked off while her people gathered around her. I didn't even stop when she screamed at me. Heading back to Yun, he neighed at me like he approved my action. With a soft sigh, I patted his neck as I leaned into his head.

"Thank you Yun..."

I knew Yun sharp jump had saved my life. Setting my long bangs behind my ear, I held onto Yun rein as I walked him back to his private stable.

I was not aware, that the entire time, many had been watching me with awe, fascination, admiration, and approval. They watched as the girl in blue set her long hair behind her ear while guiding the beautiful white horse away from the competition field - the same one she had just completely dominated.