Chapter 16: Chrysanthemum Tea

After winning the archery competition, I was guided to a tent filled with prizes to choose from. Feeling overwhelmed by the sight of it all, I nervously made my way down the line. Suddenly, I noticed the wood box in the middle of the gems. With a smile, I took the box knowing exactly what's inside.

"Are you sure that's what you want young miss?"

I nodded and left with the box in hand. Heading to the Fa's tent, I went to my grandfather who had a smile on his face.

"You've done well Wei Lan" He chuckled softly.

I felt happy with the praise. Even Uncle Zedong was smiling at me.

"Mei-mei, that was amazing. You and Yun both" Min laughed with bright smiling eyes.

"Wei Lan was lucky" I said before holding out the box to my grandfather. "Grandfather, Wei Lan won this"

"For me?"

My grandfather was amused but took the box. When he saw it was 12 small round flower buds, his eyes brighten with delight.

"Ohhh" Min was peeking playfully from behind grandfather's shoulder. "Chrysanthemum tea... Mei-mei, you have good eyes. This tea is extremely rare, only available for the royal family"

"Child, why did you not pick something for yourself?"

"Like Min-ge said, chrysanthemum tea is rare; Wei Lan cannot let it slip by"

Chuckling softly, he shook his head like he didn't know what to do with me.

"Grandfather, would you like to try the tea?" I smiled. "I brought mother's tea pot with me"

I always kept the tea pot whenever I travel with grandfather. It had been a habit the past 2 years because I knew grandfather loves to drink tea. After he nodded, I quickly asked Li to help me with the preparation. Soon enough, I was standing at the table preparing the tea while grandfather, uncle and Min all sat in their seats.

"Do I smell tea?"

Startled, I turned to see Master Bai Yu along with his grandson at the entrance of Fa's tent. Behind them was more of grandfather's acquaintances - both men and women gather at the tent.

"He Long, you wouldn't be too greedy as to deny this old man a cup of tea now would you?" Bai Yu teased with smiling eyes.

Grandfather chuckled softly and allowed the group of elders to enter. Uncle Zedong and Min gave their seats and stood aside. I was nervous as I stood before the group of 5 elders - each were the head of a major family in each respected provinces. Seeing my grandfather apologetic expression, I could only smile wryly.

"Please begin my dear"

It was like serving a group of eager children. Smiling softly, I begin. Seconds before the water in the pot boils, I set a bit of green tea leaves in. The elders watched with curiosity as I pour the freshly made tea into the stone bowl. Several voices behind me mumbled in confusion as to why I was dumping perfectly good tea instead of serving it. After pouring the second pot all around the upside cups, I continued to refill the pot of tea with clear water. When the tea water was ready, Li brought a silver pan of water for me to clean my hands once again. After gently wiping my hand with a cold towel, I turned the jade cups and placed a flower bud from the wooden box in each cup. Reaching for the pot of tea water, I begin to fill each cup. Instantly, the tent was filled with a sweet, flowery scent. Everyone unconsciously took a deep breath and felt a indescribable sense of calmness.

"Amazing..." Bai Yu was completely impressed as he lifted the cup of tea to observe the beautiful bloom of a small chrysanthemum flower.

Grandfather was used to the tea I made so was unaffected by it. He lifted his cup to enjoy the scent before he sip the tea. The other elders were looking at me with surprise before they took their cup. After a moment of smelling the sweet scent, they tasted the tea. When their cup was empty, I quietly refill their cups. The process continues in silence until the 5 elders finished the whole pot of tea.

"Miss Wei Lan, I am again impressed with your talent" Bai Yu chuckled.

"Wei Lan still has a lot to learn" I bowed by head.

The elders all smiled while I turned to look at Min - a signal for him to help me clean up.

"He Long, I am jealous of you" The elder woman said with a soft sigh. "To have a granddaughter with such tea making skills..."

The others agreed while grandfather chuckled. I let the elder continue to converse while I brought the pot away.

"Mei-mei" Min pouted.

"Min-ge" I laughed softly. "You will have to wait another day"

"This isn't fair, why did those elders have to swarm over here?" He muttered under his breath.

I shook my head in amusement as Min followed me to the back - mumbling his complain the entire time.